• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knife sharpening.. whats your secret?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anvil... could you tell me more about what a ruby stone is, and if you could get me one and mail it to me after I have paid for it and the shipping fees? I must be the worst knife sharpener in the world. Took a brand new knife in to a knife shop yesterday, and had it honed on a machine. I kinda expected a razor edge, but it isn't: its just sharp. The guy there told me that what I needed was a diamond hone.. you know, a handle on a steel impregnated with diamond dust. Unfortunately he wanted 90 bucks for it. Nope.. can use that money for sumething else. I know there are guys out there that can sharpen a knife with a river stone. I am not one to misuse a knife... just have trouble getting one sharp. Thanks for your time, Sir: Rick Draper in the Canadas

I use a kit made by Gatco,, I like em SHARP,, A knife that ain't sharp is like a weapon that ain't loaded,, it's useless,, imo

knifes.jpg

That looks suspiciously like my Lansky kit.
Jim

Richard,

Brownell's sells the stone I'm talking about. Check out www.brownells.com and do a search on their sharpening supplies. Woodcrafter's also sells a lot of very good stones.

i bought a lansky kit a couple of years ago, i put it somewhere safe so i would not lose it. now if i could only remember where?

Just buy another kit. When you get it home put it somewhere safe. Then, when you find your old kit there, take the new one back.
Jim

now why didn't i think of that? as long as i don't lose the receipt. maybe i'll put the receipt somewhere safe. :crackup:

I have three authentic Russel Green River Works knives. All are carbon steel and needed sharpening. I simply ran them up and down on a set of crock sticks. Now they are reazor sharp.

The Scary Sharp way is the best I ever found, use it all the time. I have a strip of float glass that will take 6 3x5 pieces of wet or dry . The grits are up to you and finish off with compounded leather. Cant be beat.

Latest posts

Back