• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

KNight Hot shot nipple in TC Renegade?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhat

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been unsatisfied with my TC nipple. I have had some failures to fire (cap) and decided to install a Knight Hot shot. Anyone have any experiences with this nipple? I shoot Pyrodex in my Renegade so I also switched to CCI Magnum #11's.

Thanks for any help or advice.

I have Hotshot nipples(uncle Mikes) in my tc new englander and cabelas hawkens(two different sizes) they have the vented cone and work really well. I believe they are sold under the Thompson Center brand now. There may be some other makers. These are the only modification Ive felt are usefull on my ml. good luck

mothernatureson

I used a Knight "Red Hot" [I think it was called] in my Lyman Deerstalker and had very good service from it. I used Pyrodex and only had one fail to fire, and that was in a very bad snow storm. Another good nipple is the "Magnum Spitfire", but I can't remember who makes it.

I believe Gm barrels have Knight hot shot nipples in them. I've never had a problem with them.

I'd be inclined to think the Pyrodex was ore the source of the problem.

Mad Professor said:
I believe Gm barrels have Knight hot shot nipples in them. I've never had a problem with them.

I don't think Pyro is the issue, the biggest problem is th cap failing to pop. Only had 1 fail to ignite the powder in the last 100 rounds.

How old is the nipple

Does the cap seat flush with the nipple

I've had good luck with both Knight (Gm) and TC (Uncle mike's) nipple as with the CCI #11 caps.

When did the problem start, after you changed something

(note: a couple of keys have died on my keypad so please forgive typos and the lack of question marks)

The nipple is the TC with the vent holes in the side. It probably has 200 rds through it but I can't see any signs of wear. I'm gonna keep it for a spare.

Redhat said:
Mad Professor said:

I don't think Pyro is the issue, the biggest problem is th cap failing to pop. Only had 1 fail to ignite the powder in the last 100 rounds.

When the cap doesnt pop on the first try, will it pop on the second? If so, the nipple definatley needs replaced or reshaped. The first hammer strike seats the cap fully and the second one fires it. And not to harp, but try some real BP. The difference between the real stuff and Pyrodex is like night and day.

I'm using the TC hot hot nipples and CCI #11 mag caps in both of my TC Hawkens. No problems while using Tripple Seven 2f. This week I carried the 50 Hawken for four days before I shot it and no problems. Made meat, nice doe.

When I got my T/C Renegade(used) it was doing the same as yours. A new nipple made it into a new gun :thumbsup:

Back