• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knocking Down a Glossy Stock Finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am re doing a walnut stock, and am using LMF sealer, and gun stock finish. After three sealers, and two finish applications, I can tell this is going to be way to shiny for my taste.

What is the best way to take if from a gloss to a more dull finish?

When the finish has been set up( looks glossy), but is still tacky, just run dry clean fingers lightly over the surface to break up the gloss, and you will have a matte finish. I know that sounds to easy, but its really not as easy. You do have to concentrate on having your fingers moving when you contact the finish- I describe it as using a wisk broom like stroke as if you were takeing lint off a suit coat-- and you have to use good light so that you don't miss a spot. It sometimes helps new people to this if they put their finger tips into the stock finishing oil, rub it around on their finger tips to get the fingers coated and tacky with the stock finish, and then begin to wipe the stock finish.

Try using a paper towel when the stock is completely dry. The Towels are slightly abrasive, that is why you should never clean your eyeglasses or scope Lens with them. Give it a good brisk rubbing, doesn`t leave any residue like Steel Wool does.

I did my TC with burlap. Rubbed it down every day for about 10 days, not shiny and no lint or steel fibers!

I do as Paul does, but use a paper towel to get a broader area of coverage. Just make sure you have some lint free paper. I do this all the time.

The absolute easiest and best way is to dip 0000 steel wool in Tung Oil and give it a nice rubdown. Then dry it off. It will leave a nice even satin finish.

It might be easier to not attain such a glossy finish to begin with. I apply 2 soak-in coats of LMF sealer wiping off the excess afer 20-30 minutes and allowing complete drying between coats. After the second coat of LMF is completely dry,3 very thin, finger rubbed coats of Wahkon Bay Trucoat are applied w/ complete drying between coats. After the third coat of Trucoat, a soft bath towel is used to bring out some shine but it takes a bit of rubbing. I find that this finish is quite moisture resistant and very low gloss. Don't like BLO's weather protection but do like it's soft looks and this finish also has the soft look......Fred

If you visit most paint stores, you can find a product called " Rottenstone", which is a very fine, powdered abrasive, used to take the high sheen off of varnished woods in furniture making. This also works well to take the sheen off dried gunstock finishes. YOu dip a rag into oil, and then dip the oiled rag into the Rottenstone, and gently rub it on the surfaces to create that matte finish. Wash the rotten stone and oil off the stock with mild soap and water, and then dry the stock thoroughly. ( a couple of hours in a warm kitchen.)Then I apply a paste or spray furniture wax to the stock, and put the stock and metal parts together, for the trip to the range.

I don't have much luck with paper toweling being lint free, which is why I just use my fingers to break the surface of the finish. I usually wait about 10 minutes after I have stretched and rubbed in the final coat of finish, washing my hands in that rest period, before returning to the stock, to knock off the sheen as described above. I have been known to use my whole palm and four fingers to rub the stock when it has dried faster than I was anticipating. As long as my hands have been cleaned in soap and water, to remove the natural oils in my hands, there is no problem with holding or transferring any lint to my finishes.

Green scotch bright pads work well as long as the finish is completely dry. About the same as steel wool, but no metal fibers.

Buff the surface and then wipe of any dry residue. I find that the micro fiber towels aka tac cloth found in the wood working section at wally mart work excellent.

Tom

Paul, don't have the torn edge of the paper exposed and you probably will have no lint. At least I don't. I have tried cheese cloth from the paint stores for this, as it was recommended some place one time long ago, and it was a mess of lint! When I used my fingers I would get streaks, where my fingers dragged. Even that, though is not the end of the world, since a nice buffing in a few weeks of hardening the finish will take care of those. I use surgical gloves to handle the stocks when I finish them otherwise.

"...I use surgical gloves to handle the stocks when I finish them otherwise."
-------------
And while your buying them at the Drug Store you can have some fun too!

Just tell the casher, "I use these to apply linseed oil and varnish to my butt."

:grin: :rotf: :grin:
zonie

Back