• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kodiak double rifle sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a Kodiak .72 calibre. On the advice from a Kodiak shooter in South Africa, I purchased a replacement single fiber optic sight.

It's a crazy world.. I had to have a guy in South Africa tell me to buy something I could get from a store in my same tel area code!

Flintlocks Etc. is the name of the store/outlet. You can see the sight on their site (just add the dot-com).

One screw is all it takes, along with $80 plus tax plus shipping. The part # is USA411

Anyway, I haven't shot mine yet, but have gotten good reports from anyone who chose this route over the 2 sight barrel scramble.

I guess you could say it makes sense.

If you have a chance to try other sights, I think you will find that a green optic front sight will be more visible under a variety of light conditions than this pink or " red" sight shown. Beyond problems color blind people have in seeing reds, clearly, reds, blaze orange( Hunter orange) and pink colors tend to "fuzz" around the edges, which does not contribute to accuracy. The green sights don't Fuzz for most shooters, under more differing light conditions. Green against the fur of a deer, caribou, elk, moose, or bear is highly visible, where red can be a problem in low light. :hmm:

Question: I didn't see this asked in the thread yet. Pardon me if I missed it.
How many "front sights" (muzzle end) does the thing have?
If the rear sights are mounted on the center rib - a la "Express" sights, then a single front sight would indicate that the sights should work for the rifle as a whole. (the fact that each is adjustable for E&W may mean that I am wrong about that). I would work on finding a load that brought the POIs as close as possible. I'd work at 50 yards no more. DRs in general are short distance shooters. (I have one chambered for .30-06. It's a 100 yard gun comfortably.)
Nice to see the reference to Graeme Wright's book.
There was an article a few years ago in The Double Gun Journal" about the Kodiak; it was an account of the .58 cal being used in Africa. If I can find it, I'll look for pertinent info.

My .02
Pete

Yes, I found the article. It is in the Spring 2002 issue. It is by one Ira Lewis and is entitled "With Double Rifle and Powder Flask in Africa".
He makes a number of observations that may be helpful here.
One is that the rifle is regulated at 70 yards.
The two sights are not supposed to be used to sight each barrel independently. (The barrels are regulated. There'd be no point in regulating them if they were to be sighted independently)
The rifle became more accurate as he increased the powder charge.
His first tests at 65 paces - three shots from each barrel - could be covered by his hand.
He was using the .58 cal version and ended up with a load of 140 grains FFg and a 550 grain Minie. This is what he took to Africa. Using a scope, he was able to get R/L barrel groups that totaled four inches at 100 yards.
Suggestion: play with heavier powder charges and try Minies (twist rate is 1-24").

Pete

Back