• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kodiak double rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

Can I get some opinions on the Kodiak double rifles from people who own or have shot one ? What are the max. powder charges ? Where can I get scope mounts for one ? I would like to purchase one in the next few weeks.Thanks

wbyman: I have had two of hte .58s and one of the .72s. Great guns and unusually fun to shoot. Pedersoli's maximum charge recommendations are rather conservative, and let's leave it at that. Suffice it to say that the Kodiaks have been put to the test in Africa, and I have fired 150 grains under an 1100-grain conical in the .72.
The guns are at their best with a bit less steam, and repeated firing of the heaviest loads can crack the stock at the tang/wrist without bedding -- this according to a fellow I spoke with who used his on Cape buff in Africa.
The loads you will end up liking most will be the ones that "regulate," or give you the best convergence of balls/slugs at 50-75 yards, and remain pleasant to shoot.
As these rifles are designed for use at less than 100 yards, a scope would violate their spirit, although I believe I have read of a hunter using a scoped Kodiak in Africa in an issue of Blackpowder Hunting magazine.

I have a 50 cal. Just went back thru my records and found that a saboted .429 Hoenady 265 grain infront of 150FFF will clock 1900 fps. with a 24" 3 shot group at 100yds.

Same bullet with 2F
160FF-1820fps.
170FF-1890
180FF-1890
Had a 8" group for the three shots 160-180 at 100.

I did make a scope mout for mine, but have no pictures. 2 3/4x widefield redfield works quite nicely.

bs
my web page

My Kodiak .58 performs well with the Black Widow 400 grain conical and 120 grains Triple 7. BEST groups are with 100 grains black powder, .570 roundball and wonder-lubed pillow ticking.

Kodiak.jpg

This is a picture of the Adaptor that I made, it use a standard Weaver base. I am not sure if they are any production ones or not.

I just aim 4" left for the right barrel.

bs
my web page

I have a .54. The real question is not "what's the maximum load", but "what powder chartge is required with a specific projectile to get the barrels to shoot close together"?? This is usually very different from a max load! Mine has a 1/66" twist, intended for round balls, but it will keep heavier bullets flying point-on, up to a point! For example, it will make a round hole at 100 yards with the 295-grain PowerBelt with 120 grains of Pyrodex RS. But the R & L holes are about 4" apart at 100 yards.

I have NOT tried to develop a "regulating load" with the PowerBelt bullet, but I did for the .535" PRB I chose for my "standard bullet". With 85 grains of Swiss FFg, it shoots like this at 100 yards, R - L, R - L:

RLRL54KodiakDouble.png

I have not yet chronographed this load, but consider it
good enough for hunting deer and black bear.

The Kodiaks will stand charges much heavier than the ones you have to shoot if you want the barrels to shoot together!! :curse: I have a 2.5 X scope on mine. :thumbsup:

Iron sights are pretty useless to me these days - about all I can still use are big white beads up front, and wide shallow "British V's" on the back. :(

Back