• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lancaster .54 sight-in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally got my Lancaster .54 finished and took it out to get the sights 'rough on'. Didn't have much time as we had a social event to make. First shot went 6" low at 50 yds. Filed off the front sight a bit and the second shot went into the 10 ring. Third shot I pushed a little to the left into the 9 ring because of a slight delay in ignition. Fourth shot went into the 10 ring. Because I had to rush, I just shot once at 100 yds. Ball went to point of aim, which, frankly amazed me, I thought it would drop a couple inches at least. I was using 75 gr ffg Goex, a .530 ball, .015 patch prelubed with Wonder lube and priming with some old ffffg. The barrel is a 42" swamped Getz .54. Chambers Golden Age lock. relatively crude single trigger, which was a little stiff and needs tuning. Shots fired from a bench. All-in-all I am pleased.

Mike:
Sounds like you have a "keeper".
The Lancaster is one of my favorite styles of rifle. I see you spent time in PA. You have a PA style rifle, a PA barrel & good chance you have a maple stock from PA.
I recently shot-in my York rifle( my favorite style of rifle) and also had to file the sights. Filed too much..had to replace my front sight. Now I shoot at least two different times before I do the final filing of sights. Live and learn.
Lots of luck.
Rich Thomas

yes...I was kinda in a hurry--the wives you see...oh, well...anyhow the first shot seemed real good to me, online but low. The next four shots justified the filing, but I was lucky to have stopped just in time to raise it to the bullseye. I need to get back out there and fine tune the load. Yes, I grew up in PA and that is where I first got my love of PA longrifles. Now I love them all, northern or southern, plain or fancy--even percussion or flint.

Hi Mike , I to have a custom Lancaster 54cal made by Mr Jerry Kirklin,I was lucky and didnt have to do anything with my sights,Love that style of gun, I was also born in P.A (Clarion,)I live in Colorado now miss the woods back there. Rod :hatsoff:

At least some gunmakers sight in their products before delivery. I too have lived in both PA and Colo and miss both places alot. Miss the mountains and all that access to public lands. Folks down here in Texas and Louisiana just don't have a clue--everything is leased up and posted. I know that disease is spreading--even to PA, where as a lad I could hunt anywhere, private land or not, with a simple "May I?".

Everyone has dif. ways of doing things, but I always find a group before I worry about sights. And I DO NOT want to hit the bullseye. You hit the bullseye or black & you just distorted the bull & you will subconsiously see that all the time & it will pull ya off. All ya need is a small clean bull & hit on the paper.

I have found it best to sand bag the rifle on a good solid bench, work loads on the smallest bull you can see at 25 yards. Shoot in groups of 3 shots per load, and go from there.

When you have a good group at 25 yards & one that shoots one hole consistantly, then go out to 50 yards & concentrate on the load & refine it more.

When you have a satisfactory load, THEN work the sights to the bull.

Just my way of doing it, not saying it is right or wrong....... just a way..

:thumbsup:

That's close to the normal way I do it. I was in a hurry that day. The rifle (and I) seemed to be shooting good--it is a Getz barrel and I was guessing on load using published Lyman tables. Now I need to go back and fine-tune it.

Latest posts

Back