• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lancaster (custom) Rifle, .50 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend give me the link to this Lancaster rifle on the GunBoker website.When i'm remember correctly,it is not allowed a link to the GunBroker website.Right/Wrong?When it is allowed i post the link.
So here are some pics.What do you think of it?
Lancaster (custom) Rifle, .50 caliber Flintlock. This .50 caliber Lancaster Rifle has a forty-four inch Colerain Swamped octagon browned barrel. The top three flats of the barrel are one-hundred percent engraved from the breech to the muzzle, with a scroll pattern and the gun maker’s last name.
pix529657547.jpg

pix529740891.jpg

pix529657235.jpg

pix529657344.jpg

pix529657469.jpg

pix529740985.jpg

pix529741125.jpg

pix529741219.jpg

:hmm:

It's a fantasy gun, well-executed, not "knock me over with a feather" but well done for the style. I don't favor fantasy guns so am not enthusiastic, but do think the workmanship and execution are very good. This would be a good gun for someone who has a lot of money, wants to have someting "patriotic and early American" and does not know anything about originals but wants something decorative and unusual for their great room, by the fireplace.

It may be a nice shooter but i agree just to much. Every surface carved, inlayed etc not my bag.
Sorry just my opinion and its no better than others.
Regards
Dobson

It's quite apparent the boy's got some talent and patience. :bow: In my opinion, it appears to be a classic case of prescription narcotics abuse! :youcrazy: :rotf:
sniper

all that work woulda looked better spread over about 50 rifles instead of one. whoever done it does have some talent tho

:shocked2:
Seems all of that work would have been better spent on a German style rifle...

I had a saddle that looked like that once.

Someone on another site opined that this rifle was a "practice piece"--someone clearly overdid the carving, inlaying and engraving--as though to practice techniques--or perhaps it was done as a demo piece to students? Kinda ugly in my mind, but each to his own...

aw, come on now guys,little bit of use in the field and all that luster and shine would be almost nill. :shake:

It is a real nice piece but like others have said a bit over the top. I wonder if the rifle was American made or wheather some one in Germany did it. American clasic Lancaster rifle but done in German style. I like all the fancy carvings and wire work but it would not be one I would like to carry into the woods-I would be afraid a bear would mug me and take it.To me it has German influence . It would not be a rifle a ordinary backwoodsman would have carried while in the woods. Mudd Turtle.

"Beautiful work,but would be more fitting on an early Jaeger"

Or he should do early 18th century French guns...

:rotf: :rotf: That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are!!! :rotf:

My first reaction to this rifle was...what is Lancaster about it??? Nothing that I can see.

The phrase: Diamond in a goats nose comes to mind. :blah:

lancaster Co. rifles were built by a simple people, even the most decorated rifle was still simple. a star around the muzzle was about it for barrel engraving.
calling that a lancaster rifle, to me, is a disgrace. and i thought northhampton Co. rifles were over done with inlays.
this gun is almost painful to look at.

i'm sorry about going on, but you did ask.....

It's like a person totally covered with tattoos - every square inch of their body.

Freak show stuff.

rich pierce said:
This would be a good gun for someone who has a lot of money, wants to have someting "patriotic and early American" and does not know anything about originals but wants something decorative and unusual for their great room, by the fireplace.

Honestly said, i didn't like it very much.It's like this one from Germany.
jaeger2gr.jpg

jaeger3gr.jpg

I favor more this kind of guns.
Reading_Rifle_01.jpg

MiscRifles3.jpg

1761to1765EarlyVirginiatraderifle1.jpg

ChristianOerter1760.jpg

SchroyerNewcomerrifle01.jpg

:hatsoff:

Back