• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last day doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsday

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Used my last vacation day of the year on the last day of the year. I was trying for one more nice doe for the freezer and maybe a batch of boloney.

Heading down into my "close to home" spot on a friend's property Tuesday morning. I got to the spot of my ladder stand in the dark and looked up to see the top section hanging in the tree right were I left it. Some slug stole the bottom 2 leg sections.

I pondered a second and decided to find a spot to sit on the ground. This is a good crossing between some old fields and a section of oak woods.

I sat for about an hour and started thinking I was too close to the crossing to be on the ground so I backed off another 50 yards and found another oak to sit against. Sat there about 40 more minutes before I spotted this little 2 year old feeding toward me.

I watched her a bit and she finally spotted me and went on alert. She was looking straight at me at about 35 yards so I thought I better get this thing done. Shot her head on, low in the chest. She wheeled and took off down hill with her head down low. I heard the crash as soon as she went out of site. Looked like a heart shot deer is supposed to.

I found her quickly, gave thanks for her sacrifice and got to work.

So, a little bad news, a little good news to end the year.

Now I have to haul a ladder down in there to get the remnants of my stand out of the tree. But aleast I'll have a chunk of boloney in my pocket when I go in.

I like it. Sorry about your stand, that kind of stuff really gets my goat, but you overcame, and that is the best part. Nice looking deer. Maybe I'm just tired, but how bout some specs on that nice looking rifle? And, boy, would I like to try some of that bologna, do you make it yourself?

Congrats on a fine end to the season! Glad to hear that the "disruption" didn't deter your success. :hatsoff:

I've had three chained and locked stands stolen over the years. One I had sat one evening and when I went back in the dark the next morning it was gone! :shocked2: I had to stand there a moment wondering if I was at the right tree, but my tree-step holes were there. :cursing: Someone must have come in in the dark...and this was on private property way back in a steep valley...not easy to get to.

The only thing worse than a petty thief is a low-life hunter who steals from an honest hunter!

At any rate, congratulations on your stick-to-it-ive-ness...good Doe and a good looking rifle.
:thumbsup:

Congrats on the last day doe and a great ending to your season! Love rifle and kill pics!! :thumbsup:

Congrats on the deer :thumbsup: I wouldn't want to catch someone messing with my stands. Sorry about your loss. :(

Glad you got a deer. I wish you had got the thief. If you put up another ladder, bolt the sections together with lock nuts. Most thieves don't carry a wrench set into the woods.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats on the doe.To bad on the stand.It's old hand in Jersey,guy's there steal like it's free.Theft runs rampad there.Don't hear to much about that in Pa.Griz

That's my I. Haines style 50 cal. rifle with a 38" colrain barrel. I think I built her about 8 years ago now. She's accounted for quite a few whitetails.

A great carrying gun for the woods.

We do make our own boloney. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who's family recipe is wonderful and he customized his smoker to hold 3# sticks vertically while smoking. We usually get together on a Saturday in February to smoke up a few batches. 21# of ground venison and 4# of pork or beef, and the family secret herbs and spices. It's a "don't ask, don't tell" kinda thing.

I think I'll use the bolt and nut idea to attach the legs on the ladder from now on. Maybe wire with a 220 volt switch too!

Nice job on the deer and the gun. I have had several stands stolen over the years. I now just hunt on the ground because of it. Im too fat for them too steal me :idunno:

Great job on the deer! :thumbsup:
I can never figue out why people can't keep their fingers off things that don't belong to them! :nono:

Sucks about the stand but congrats on the fine doe and great shot! That's a beautiful gun you have made there and I am jealous too. :thumbsup:

Tracy

Gentlemen.

A follow up to the hunt.

As I told ya'll, I shot her "head on" in the chest. Didn't really see an exit but the intestines were a little contaminated when I dressed her out. I figured the ball went out with the guts.

I kept an eye on the carcass when we were skinning and it was in perfect condition. No hole anywhere except throught the brisket.

We cut her up last night. carved most into chunks for grinding. Saved some loin and 2 chunks of the hams.

I just started to slice into the final large chunks of the hams went I found the ball.

There was almost no visible wound channel. No blood. Just that mushed up .50 cal ball.

I plucked it out and finished chunking up the ham.

I'll drop that into the lead pot on the next casting session for some good Mojo.

I've got one more either sex tag for Saturday (our closing day). I'm going out but it would really need to be something special for me to shoot anything else.

We've had a bountiful season. It was -4 here this morning with wind.

Wishing you all good health throughout the winter season.

Stay warm!

Greg

I was fortunate enough to recover a ball this year also. That one will be carried with me on every hunt from now on, part of my gear for that rifle, also for the mojo.

Yeah, it's too brutal for me to get out today, I'll try the rest of the week. Nice find, hopefully a nice big buck shows for you!

Back