• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

last rabbit of the year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Kentucky’s rabbit season closes Jan. 31, so I decided to make one last hunt. It wasn’t a very pleasant day for it, dark and overcast, temperature right at freezing and with a steady wind blowing ice pellets and snow flurries in my face. Being out with a BP shotgun on my arm always solves all such minor problems, and it did today. My hunting place is mostly open hay fields with a few scattered patches of woods and fence rows which have been allowed to grow up for the critters. I hunt alone and without dogs, just as I learned to do when a kid, and it’s a fairly strenuous way to hunt. Keeps you warm and gives you plenty of exercise.

I knew I’d be hunting in some pretty heavy trash requiring quick action if I found bunnies so I decided to leave my 46”-barrel flintlock smoothbore at home and go modern. I have a Navy Arms 12-gauge SxS percussion double which I haven’t used much for a long time, so I decided to carry that. Last time I fired at a rabbit with it was 1992, and it took me a while to round up the fixin’s for it. I have an assortment of caps, all many years old, and I decided to try a box of Vorderlater Zundhutchen because they seemed to fit. Hard card overpowder wads of 3/32” and overshot of 1/32”, 2F Goex, #6 shot, double snake shot and powder dispenser, canvas shotgunning bag... check, check, check. And coffee. And shotgun chaps. V.M. Starr recommended 82 gr. Fg and 1 oz. shot in a 12-gauge for cottontails, but I was using FFg, so I set my snake up to drop 76 grains FFg and 1 oz. of shot.

I hiked for two hours through the best looking cover I could find and saw only 2 cottontails. The first was in some thick lodged grass right next to a dense briar patch. It held until I almost stepped on it then bolted into the briars and disappeared, was in sight for only 1 second. The second was a hour later in a fairly thin fence row, and it made the mistake of running along the row in the clear. I let it run out about 20 yards and then rolled it. I’ve been hunting for many a year and have taken a lot of game, large and small, but I enjoy doing that more than most. The challenge of beating a scooting cottontail in heavy cover to the draw and rollin it with a shotgun never gets old for me. I do, but that doesn’t.

One rabbit was all I needed, I’m easy to please, so I called it a day.. A good day. There will be another one tomorrow, fried rabbit, biscuits and pan gravy. It’s a hard job, but somebody has to do it.

Spence

rabbit1-19A.jpg

rabbit1-19O.jpg

rabbit1-19E.jpg

Good hunting :hatsoff:. I wish I got to rabbit hunt as much as I usually do but I concentrated my efforts on deer hunting our late winter doe seasons with my muzzleloader. Then when it wasn't the deer hunting weekends I tried hunting coyotes because the coyotes for some reason this year have been pretty hard on our rabbit population. So far I've only killed 2 coyotes off the property so I've probably saved a lot of rabbits already since I heard a mature coyote will eat 2 rabbits per day during the winter.

I could sift through your photos and read what you scribe for hours on end. :shake:

You have a gift friend and I thank you for sharing it with us here!

Congrats on that wascalwee wabbit, Spence. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Skychief.

Outstanding tale and hunt, Spence, thanks for sharing.

I used to have one of those Navy Arms doubles, messed around and traded it off. I have a Pedersoli now, am expecting snow overnight, and am thinking just maybe...

:hatsoff:
Spot

Spence, what a beeeeeautiful gun! (Rabbit ain't too shabby, either!)
You make me lust after one of them, now! :shake:

That gun has been a good one. I had the best day of rabbit hunting with a BP gun, ever, with it. The first day I hunted with it I kicked up 7 bunnies in about 2 hours. I got shots at 5 of them and killed every one, had 2 on the ground at one time. The gun fits me like a custom made one, is light and quick in handling, has never missed fire. It's too bad Navy stopped making that one.

Spence

Skychief said:
Congrats on that wascalwee wabbit, Spence.
Thanks, Skychief. Not a very big adventure, but I'll settle for it as last hunt of the season. As I grow older I require less to make me content. Mother Nature is good to us as we age, isn't she?

Spence

Your story and pictures make me want to go rabbit hunting, but I think the coyotes have almost wiped them out here in North Texas. While growing up rabbits were everywhere, but I havn't seen one in a long time. I guess I will have to start hunting the coyotes.

Wish we had more rabbits up here in NH. Snowshoe hare is what we have but I'd have to go up north to get em and we've had a lot of snow lately so I've spent my time shoveling rather than hunting. I like your attitude about hunting too. Bagging out shouldn't be the sportsman's goal. Being out in God's creation and getting excercise is the main thing. Gettin the critters is gravy, when I squirrel hunt I'm happy if I go home with one or two.

Don

Don said:
Snowshoe hare is what we have but I'd have to go up north to get em...
I always thought it would be good fun hunting snowshoes. How is it usually done, kick them up and shoot them running with a shotgun, or find them sitting and take them with a rifle? I remember a couple of memorable hunts as a teenager after heavy snowfall, shooting cottontails with a .22. Rabbits were thick back then. Now it's not unusual for me to thrash the trash for 3-4 hours without seeing a single rabbit.

Spence

As a youth here in eastern Pa. we had a lot of bunny's to hunt. It seems over the years, as farming practices changed, developments sprang up, birds of prey populations exploded, a dramatic increase in feral cats and throw away dogs, there just isn't very many bunny's left around here to hunt. If they were around one would surely see tracks in the snow. I haven't seen a rabbit while out hunting for a very long time and I do a whole lot of hunting (year round).
I wish that it were different, but that's the reality of it. I don't even know anyone who runs Beagles any more. I envy you my friend.

Vern

We've had the same thing happening here. Coyotes have moved in in a big way, and everyone says they ate the rabbits. I'm not sure what is going on, but they aren't plentiful any more. But.... there is always a but, isn't there?... a couple of weeks ago I hunted over the same path I usually find empty and kicked up 6 rabbits. Where had they been? Maybe they have learned to climb trees. :grin:

Spence

Most of the Snowshoes I saw taken was during deer season up north and either taken with a CF rifle or a .22 pistol. We ate a few hunting Vermont in the 70's that way. :haha:

I don't know if I'm telling you something you already know or not. But rabbits and coyotes have cycles, and when there's a big jump in population of one, there's a drop in the other. If there's lots of coyotes, they will eat a lot of rabbits. Then when the rabbits pop. gets low, the 'yotes starve, and die off. And the rabbits repopulate.
We've always hunted snows with a rifle or pistol, .22, but they are a gas to hunt with bp. Talk to Brownbear, he's the expert. :hatsoff:

Yes, I'm familiar with the predator/prey cycles. I'm a firm believer that nature works out the best balance without any interference from me, so I don't shoot coyotes. I like them.

Spence

Back