• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Late Season Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon/Iowa

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The late muzzle loader season opened last Monday the 20th, and I got lucky. Saw a lot of does and four bucks. Missed a doe about a half hour after opening. Then about an hour later this guy came along. I call him my "Iowa Longhorn". Leon

The gun I built about five years ago, with interchangeable barrels. Mark DeHass made the 58 rifled, and 62 smoothbore barrels. It has an L&R lock and triggers. The wood I got off ebay. With the two barrels I can hunt anything from rabbits to Moose. I have taken several turkey with the 62 smoothbore. The load for the deer was 80 gr. of 3F, .023 patch greased with olive oil, and a .570 RB. Leon

Good deal! Late season bucks are definitely earned! :hatsoff:

Years ago when I hunted Iowa with bow (before they demanded an arm and a leg for a non-res license) I had an old buck I had named "beams" that I saw numerous times. He had steer horns like that with mass but just a few rounded nubbins for points. He looked to be a very old buck. One of my most memorable mornings was when the sun was just breaking the horizon and he came out in a glissening frosty set-aside field and stood there looking around, with steam coming out of his nostrils at each breath. Magnificent.

Nice Buck. It's sad I bought a TC Renagade 54 & have yet to shoot it. I live in Iowa I'm going to have to make time & go Muzzel loading for deer my self looks like fun.

Very nice! He diffidently needed to be culled out of the herd.

nice buck! i killed my first flintlock deer about a week ago. i know the thrill you must have had!

Congrats on the nice buck. :thumbsup: Looks like he needed to come out of the gene pool.

Back