• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Latest LR Underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vbull

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished my latest long range underhammer project. This one is a Deer Creek action, Green Mountain #5 weight, 34", 1:18" twist .451 caliber barrel, Lee Shaver front sight w/spirit level, Mike Stevens vernier rear sight and English walnut stock / forearm. I've yet to weigh it on a certified scale, but feels like 12 lbs or so.

Bullets are cast, just need a break in the weather to try it out. I hope the pictures come through. Frank M.
Dsc03254.jpg

Dsc03255.jpg

Very nice :thumbsup:

I have a .50 barrel assembly on it's way for my UH. Love it in .36, but I want to use it some for deer.

Great looking rifle Vbull :thumbsup: heard that the underhammers are very accurate.The butt end of the stock looks well designed for rear bags should be very stable rifle in a rest.Alot of choices with bullet configerations with a 45 cal.it seems when you go to the lower calibers you lose those options.Hows the trigger, can it be tuned to a safe level was wondering when I looked at those.Have only seen underhammers offered from Blue Grouse was considering putting one together myself ,let us know how it preforms ,very interesting to see one ,again great job!

vbull,
Nice job. I also build with the DeerCreek actions, as well as H&A. I have built several chunk guns and an offhand. There's a combo, shotgun and rifle, in the closet that my grandson outgrew. The actions are tight and quick. Hope it shoots well for you.
Mark

sjf,
The trigger only needed to be cleaned up with a stone and buffed. It is down to 2lbs and very crisp. I built another one on the same type action several years ago. That one had a heavier #6 weight barrel (1.200" across the flats) and weighed just under 15 lbs. I used it for NRA target rifle matches off cross sticks from 200 to 1000 yards. Amazingly accurate!
I use a 535 gr grease groove slug sized to .450" made by Fred Leeth. 100 grains of Swiss 1 1/2. I cleaned the 300 yard target 100-6X and shot into the 90's at 1000 yards. Although paper patch bullets seem slightly better when it is windy, the grease groove bullets are less work and don't give the occasional flyer. Velocities with both bullets are just under 1400 fps. Frank M.

Vbull, I'm curious what group size in inches your 100-6x translates into. In these parts 200 yard or longer shots at deer are available but the 50 cal PRB isn't an option at those ranges. I have one UH built and am looking at another with the longer range capability with a scope. Thanks

TheDuck,
The rifle I used for NRA competition is a heavier 15lb underhammer then the one I just finished. I've attached photos of a similar group shot at 300 yards off cross sticks. There are only 9 holes in this target as I was using the last 9 paper patch bullets I had that day. The other photo shows that particular rifle used. The barrel is a #6 weight. The lower one in the photo is a T/C Renegade with a 1:18 twist GM barrel. I started with that one and since changed over to underhammers. Frank M.

DSC02499.jpg

Dsc02497.jpg

Thanks Vbull. A picture is worth a thousand words. I'd be using cross sticks for anything over 100 yards and sitting in place for hours so gun weight wouldn't be an issue. Muzzleloader season here in SW Ontario has become a snow shoe season so I dig into the snow and sit down in a spot for hours. I have metal for the reciever and my own machine/welding shop to play in. Just need time but life keeps side tracking me and getting in the way.

Back