• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

latest toy . . . walmart refurbish!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8dawg6

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well, i was perusing a local walmart and there in the revolving gun case was a t/c grey hawk. i sort of did a double-take, i know these havent been made in awhile. anyway, i got the cashier to show me the rifle, and it had quite a few scratches on the finish and stock. however, the bore was shiny and appeared to be unfired, the lockwork was perfect (nice no-creep 4-5 lb. trigger), and there wasn't a speck of corrosion on the entire thing. i asked the cashier what on earth it was, and she said it was gun that had been purchased at wal-mart some years back, and then returned, and that walmart had then sent the rifle back to T/C to be refurbished. so that's why the bore was new, but the outside was scratched. of course i bought the rifle.

took it shootin' yesterday, and it shoots .490 roundballs w/ ordinary .015 patches and 80 g. pyrodex RS great (good tight bore, which i didn't expect, considering it had been "freshened out."). also, i can bonk the rifle around and set it down on things like ATV's and metal tables without a second thought. it's a truly functional utility rifle.

oh yeah, the price? $69.00

Wow, what a terrific find...
And are you sure the bore was 'freshened'...maybe TC just put a new barrel on it...might have been cheaper for them in the long run rather than tie up some labor refreshing it...good deal!

well, what makes me think its not a new barrel is that there are numerous scratches on the outside of the barrel. and the front sight has a little dot of white sight paint on the bead. the inside of the barrel, however, was clearly unfired. i still need to get some more rounds through it to really break the barrel in. the rifling tool marks are still visible, which is a problem that i think is more evident in stainless steel guns (somehow the metal is a little harder to work?)

not the most PC sidelock i own :grin: , but 100% functional, and a snap to clean.

oh yeah, i forgot to mention, i'm going to get a blued 12 guage new englander barrel to go on it! :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: it is going to be an abomination . . . a freak of nature! i already have a nickname for her: the silver beast. :grin:

I bought a GreyHawk in .54 at a local gunshop several years ago . Great rifle. Congrats on the find. I would have grabbed it , too.

that's the best kind of gun- the mongrel! they don't look like much, but they shoot good, so they get the most work. my favorite is a lyman trade rifle stock, investarms caplock, and a t/c hawken .50 cal barrel.All bought off ebay.cheap & ugly,just like it's owner!

I came across a Grey Hawk last summer for $145 and thought I was getting a deal. The guy that had it went to the dark side. Mine shoots a .490, pillow ticking, and 90 gr. of 3f into a cloverleaf at 25yds.
Good move on your part.

nice find. my shootin' bud has one he bought years ago. good shootin', easy clean-up. i've been trying to steal it from him ever since he picked it up.

I love my grey hawk. It shoots great and can hit what I aim for. You got a deal on the price. I'll have to check walmart more often.

'Silver Beast' eh? :grin: Been there, done that, still doing it...but nowhere near as cheap as you're doing it. :shocked2:

The Greyhawk is a great little gun. I've had one for years and just picked up another on an auction site. Yeah, I got the black 12 gauge barrel too, and yeah, it's ugly...but it sure is a shooter.

Both of mine are .50s and I'm still kicking myself for passing up a new .54 that was racked right next to my first one when I bought it. But to set myself at ease on the matter I bought a blued .54 New Englander barrel to drop in when the spirit moves me. Looks right at home alongside one of those stainless/blued/polymer 'Wonder Nines' that were the rage 10 years ago.

Still I love it for its practicality. Accurate, carries great, handles like a carbine, almost indestructible, easy to maintain, easy on the shoulder, versatile,....the best of both yesterday and today.

Mine likes conicals (Maxis and Black Belts) over 80 to 90gr. RS for hunting and PRB over 30gr. Pyro P for plinking and small game. The bore's so tight that I can only use .010 patches with .490 balls, but still get great accuracy. Shoots better offhand than from the bench, for some reason.

You're gonna love it! :hatsoff:
Bob

Latest posts

Back