• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Latter Day Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This can't be good.
tretz.gif

I'll bite.
A new/recent build portrayed as a Jäger type rifle. :grin:

Keep in mind that these type rifles differed from one to the next and differed from regions, dates and use. I think Jäger (Hunter), is used rather loosely today to describe the guns used by a Jäger. That's a pretty broad brush.
"Steinschloß-Jägerbuchsen" by Wolf shows many.

Renegade-IMHO, No.

Hey bucktales.
Your right of course and the term includes a pretty broad category. And it must mean a lot of things to different individuals. Reckon to me it's the geometry and utility being thought of in comparison to what has been produced recently.
Off hand I can't think of anything that fills the bill any better than a flinter Renegade. Well, unless maybe a bigger bore Renegade. Perhaps the Renegade would be the volksjaeger, rifle for the masses.

My guess is it would be an AR15 style rifle, maybe in a 30 or 6.5 caliber w/ 2-10X or so scope magnification.
Unless you are meanin an old/modern Jaeger rifle description. http://www.braunschweiger-jaeger.de/mitglieder.html
If there is someone that can decypher some of the german text, I think this page lists and describes certain things about the Hessians. Including a section about their rifles.
I would think a list of desirable features that were valuable back then would be just as desirable today.

Last edited by a moderator:
If one looks at the details of the Jaegers it is pretty well concluded gun students that the Renaged is not even close, the closest gun from the past a Renegade migh come to would be a 1850 or later rifle and this is highly debatable by most serious gun students, they are more of "kinda looks like" an old time gun with more modern architecture any resemblance would be coincidental as TC did not really pattern their guns after any particular types from the past rather used the concept and some of the visual attributes in a modernized package.

sbhg said:
My guess is it would be an AR15 style rifle, maybe in a 30 or 6.5 caliber w/ 2-10X or so scope magnification.
Unless you are meanin an old/modern Jaeger rifle description. http://www.braunschweiger-jaeger.de/mitglieder.html
If there is someone that can decypher some of the german text, I think this page lists and describes certain things about the Hessians. Including a section about their rifles.
I would think a list of desirable features that were valuable back then would be just as desirable today.

Interesting. What would you say the desirable features generally common to the jaeger rifles might have been? Not furniture aesthetics of course as this discussion was begun as the question of what would be a modern day produced analog rather than duplication, but those characteristics that governed the utility of the arms.
And, yes, you would be safe to presume the original question related to modern day produced muzzleloaders, included in the arms of the type that discussions in this forum are limited to.
What would you say were the desirable features generally common to the jaeger rifles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Germanic lock of a style relevant to the time of production, carving that is also relateable to a builder or area of Jaegar production,General stock architecture that is also associated with a time place of Jaeger production, maybe type/style of inletting,probably rifle twist detail as well could be of a particular type by association to an area/time the keys are that it is following reasonablely close to guns that are of a known time/place in the evolution of this type of gun. this is pretty much the basis for making a gun that is a repro/representation of any gun from the past, Stophel or others are much more knowledgeable than I on German guns and might offer more.

The Germanic hunting rifle did progress well into the 19th century and beyond to present day. I hate the word evolution but it did evolve from the cross bow to matchlock, wheellock, flintlock, percussion, to breech loader. Everything changes with the times and this inventive thing we call progress is what keeps the money circulating. The future jaeger rifle will most likely shoot laser beams and melt holes through solid steel! I prefer to live in the past however :v .
P1000240.jpg

GoodCheer said:
...analog....

That's the important word in your post, and everyone is sliding right by like you didn't use it. I'll stick with it, and base my answer on it.

If you're talking function or use rather than face paint, that's probably a reasonable comparison. There's little in the way of physical appearance between them, but in the way they're used- a compact hunting rifle- I use one in the same way I'd a Jaeger if I had one. Having a couple of Renegades in the house, I have no feeling I need to pick up a Jaeger unless I just liked the style or was going to a show. I'm going hunting.

Beautiful guns Joe I do not see anything that suggests "Renegade" though, it may be that I did not understand the Renegade connection intended in the post, I assumed it was an attempt to make a connection with the TC gun to a type of gun from the past, if so the Jaegaer is not a good choice and it would probably hard to find a real good one, a lot of historical lisence would be required to make the conection, not that the TC guns are not quality reliable well made guns that is not the issue.Any dates on these two guns I assume the percussion ignition is original from the style of the guns themselves.

The wood appears to overlay something else-a metal guard? Or am I just seeing things?
Beautiful, anyway you look at it. I want to make one out of horn, but too many projects in the mix....

I won't speak for GoodCheer, but in my case I bought the Renegade because it was $250. If I found a Pederoli Jaeger for $250, I'd certainly pick it up. But when looking for a comparatively short, handy rifle the Renegade serves just as well if style isn't important. That's what being "analogous" means, as he originally asked.

I would look real close at the Pedorsoil and the originals and compare the traits of both before taking that leap if one really wants a reasonable representation of a Jaeger. It is almost like picking one of the many production "Hawkens" as a replica/representation of an original Hawken.

I've often considered my Renegade ,as to what it would most closely be allied with historically and I gotta go with a Jaeger ,even as a percussion ,[I have seen a Genuine percussion jaeger,made as a flintlock and converted later to a percussion] and I have considered a whole hog restyling to a jaeger form or perhaps just a sliding patch box[I know that is not the proper term as far as jaegeren go] and I am presently designing jaeger sling hangers for it. it's probably my German heritage calling to me!I know there are those who disagree[already]but,there are those who havesaid the T/C Hawken or the other geeneric Hawken's out there have nothing to sugest a Hawken rifle either and to a purist they don't[or may not] but to a less critical eye ,not blinded by purism,they may seem quite similar,In appearance,function and form,
Had Jaegers continued for some reason developing ,uninterupted by other advances in technology the end result could well have been a ''Big Boar''or a .54- .58 Renegade .Of coarse this all supposition and conjecture by somebody with German blood and a large caliber, short barreled, stoutly built rifle capable of taking large boar,Red stag,Elk or large bear on either of two continents.And if I had sat down at a hunting lodge in germany 170 or so years ago they may not even look askance at my renegade.

Most would consider it a real stretch to consider the Renagade to be anyway connected to the German Jaeger guns but they are well made quality guns just hard to place in history even with reworking, at best they can be made into a 1850-60 rifle and would be plausible in that niche.which is fine as the need isthere for such guns not everyone is into the historical aspect of the spoprt but if one is ithere is more to it than trying to morph a production guns into a period type particularly a specific type, enjoy your project and your gun and above all else the journey.

Latest posts

Back