• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Laurel mountain forge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvv2hunt

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to brown my barrel and parts on my gpr. Since i am new to this i was wondering how much it will take.Will the 2.5 fl oz bottle be enough?I appreciate any info on the amount and process. Thanks Brandon

I used Laurel Mountain Forge on my GPR and found that the little bottle is plenty. Even after spilling some, and stripping and redoing several parts there was still a good bit left.
I don

Dave,

You carded too hard, or something scratched the pieces, like another piece of metal.

I've done two GPR's with the LMF Barrel Brown. What I've used to card is either denim from a pair of cut-off jeans under running hot water. I do the last carding with
#0000 steel wool to smooth out the surface, but I'm not aggressive with it.

Maybe it will help? :results: :m2c:

You carded too hard, or something scratched the pieces, like another piece of metal.
No... I thought that might have been it the first time I stripped & started over, but subsequent attempts using gentler technique ended in the same result. I even tried not carding & letting the stubborn parts sit for twelve hours between appplications.
My gut feeling is that these three peices were a different alloy, especially the toeplate.
I spent more time on that little four inch peice of stamped out metal plate than I spent on the entire barrel. :p

Even though it says you don't have to degrease, it's a good idea to do it anyway, that way there is no doubt about foreign matter on the parts, especially if you polished the parts, and used rouge, which has a n oil/wax/grease base to it. :imo: Bill

I just did three barrels:

One was completely sanded to remove the old plumb brown. [plugged the rear sight slot] it btown the quickest and most even.

Draw filed the second, did not take the brown as well as the sanded one.

Partially draw filed, just a clean up. This one was blochy and looked terrible till about 24hrs.

In my damp box set up, the temp is ablut 88* and the humidity is 82-84%.

It takes 24 hours for the finish to even out, and they are done in about 32 hrs, or about. :results:

Hours:
4 card with 4 ought steel wool
4 ""
4 ""
8 ""
4 should be looking good
4 near done
4 ""

Also did one reciever, under rib, thimbles and three sights and the bottle is near empty.

Back