• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Layered Charges & Hoppes No9 BP Plus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Perfect cool dry weather at the range this morning...used up some more leftover Pyrodex RS in a .54cal Flintlock:

> 20grns Goex 3F
> 40grs RS poured on top
> .018" pillow ticking / Hoppes No9 BP Plus
> Hornady .530s

50 shots, never wiped the bore, cleaned the lock halfway through the session with an alcohol rag and flipped the 3/4" BEF over at the same time.

Going back again in the morning...life is good !
:grin:

Yup, that do work. I recall a Dixie Tenn. Mt. flint rifle in which the outstandingly accurate load was 12 grains 3f and 40 grains RS. If that had been a hunting rifle I'd not have bothered with it but for plinking it was no big deal and I was trying to conserve my limited supply of Goex.
I used to, many years ago, actually prefer Pyrodex in percussion guns, but I believe they have changed the formula somewhat. The new Pyro seems harder to ignite and seems to lack the "lubricity" of original Pyro. I used to shoot alot of T/C maxi balls and found that with Pyrodex the second and following shots actually loaded more easily than the first shot down a clean bore. With Goex it was very hard to load a second shot without swabbing and only once tried a third, had to pound it down by ramming the rifle, with ramrod protruding, against a tree! :redface:

I use a 20grn igniter charge 'cause that's the smallest powder measure I have!
:grin:

Back