• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch after 50 shots with no wiping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YHOu can buy either 50 caliber " Wonder wads ", which are prelubed felt wads, or Walter's fiber wads in 50 caliber. Or you can make your own with a punch. I have seen overpowder wads made out of sheet cork, felt( sold for weatherstripping), and waxed milk carton. You can use fillers, like corn meal, or cream of wheat, Or coarse grains, or synthetic fillers like Puflon. You can use wasp or hornet's nest for fillers, too. But then, leaves, tobacco, and other things have also been used as fillers in a pinch. If you have leather scraps they can be cut out with a punch to make a good wad or filler.

Paul thanks for the info...next time I go shopping at Dixons I'll make a list. I think I saw the Hoppes juice their too. :thumbsup: :) All the best, Dave

smokin .50 said:
Thanks, now just one more PITA question: have you ever shot say 70 gr. of FFFg with a .490 ball and a .020 or .015 patch? I find this to be a "sweet spot" for my smokepole :) Also, what size / thickness of wad do you put over the powder and before the patch, if any? I haven't tried this yet and am asking for a good starting point :bow: . Thanks and all the best, Dave
I'm sure at one time or another I've shot 70grns in a .50cal, but some time ago settled on 50grns as a target/range load...don't shoot bullseye competition, bench rest, etc...so I've never spent the time & money to see if one particular charge is an eyelash more accurate than another

Ya'll ever heard of Falkenberry Juice?? It's some good stuff!!!! We've been using it for years. It's sorta hard to find but there some places that still carry it mail order.

I regularly shoot 50+ shots with no wiping and it seems that the more you shoot the easier it is to load.

Adam

Latest posts

Back