• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Laying out lines on stock for English Lock Project V1.0

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok - first “from scratch” project. The lines I have laid out - top one is the bottom of the barrel (the deepest ends as it’s swamped). Second is the bottom of the web. The web is 1/4”. Below that is the ramrod channel which is 3/8’s. My first plan is to inlet the barrel into the centerline and try to get the ends to match that top line. There is a lot of extra wood but it’s my first one and I already sorta mis-measured #1 so I’d like some other sets of eyes. You can see the outline of the approximate position of the lock. It’s huge. Anyway, then I’m going to plane the bottom down and then inlet the ramrod channel to the approximate bottom of the web. Ramrod entry is approx 13” from the trigger.
IMG_4876.jpeg
IMG_4877.jpeg

This is all stuff that I’ve sort of coalesced from all the “starter books” but doing it… I feel a little unsure. Anyway, appreciate any pointers.
IMG_4874.jpeg
IMG_4875.jpeg

Alrighty. I reduced the web to 1/8”. Might require some moving around of the lock but I think there is room. It was suggested that the threads of the modern ML barrel tend to push the flash hole/fence/pan a bit far forward compared to original designs. Not sure I’m up to trimming up the breech plug but I did just get my 1st metal lathe (an adorable 6” craftsman 101) and my FIL taught tool and for making so we can prob do a lot of things now. Anyway, if this looks OK in my free time this week (my 7 days on work) I’m going to work on inletting the barrel and probably removing some of the redundant wood beneath where the ramrod channel will be.

IMG_4917.jpeg
img_4920-jpeg.339095
img_4919-jpeg.339096
IMG_4921.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4920.jpeg
    IMG_4920.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4919.jpeg
    IMG_4919.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4918.jpeg