• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead conicals in lyman trade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My apologies, had I read the forum title my information would be more appropriate.
"Percussion Rifles " Duh :bow:
My Lyman .54 flint is almost impossible to work with BP substitutes. I do shoot both, percussion & flint. Gotta get me a Lyman percussion in .54
So now back to the original topic.
Percussion Rifles:

Signed: Geezer Fred

Best groups so far have been with 80gr pyrodex rs, pillow ticking compressed measurement of .013, lubed with mixture of either 1:5 or 1:7 ratio of ballistol to water and a .535 round ball. I tried the .530 round ball with both lube ratios and various other patch thicknesses/material. They seemed to group in lines going various directions, depending on patch and lube ratio used. Seems to like the tighter seal of the thicker ball and patch

I have a Deerstalker (1:48) and GP Hunter (1:32), both in .54 cal. Both are very accurate and devastating on PA whitetails. My comfort zone is about 70 yards with open sights and a tree rest. With the longer barrel GPH I have shot groups off a bench that are absolutely tight enough for deer hunting.

Earlier today I fired up the twist calculator to check .54 with a 48" twist. It said .9" bullet length.

So I had to lay it out on "paper" to grasp what that looked like.

sP1HSFM.jpg

That'd be a lot of lead.

Added #533476 to compare.

rhXzaR4.jpg

That's a mold I want to do paper patch trials in the .54 GPR and also in some TC's.

My twist calculator for a .54 with 1/48 twist reads at 1500 fps. the maximum length is .840". I don't know how long a .54 Hornady Great Plains 425 grain bullet is but it might work ok.

If the muzzle velocity is down to 1300 fps. the bullet length drops to .780"

This is a pure lead bullet, copper must be much shorter.

Walks with fire said:
I don't know how long a .54 Hornady Great Plains 425 grain bullet is but it might work ok.

.54 Hornady Great Plains is .829

back in the late 70's I had a Gallagher Breechloading Carbine. I got the Lee Improved Minie mold for it. Cast up a load of minies, and discovered the Gallagher liked RB's better.

Fast forward to just a few years ago while I was searching the garage for something else - I found the Lee minie mold & a large jar of already cast minies, plus a 30 year old can of Pyrodex.

The minies look as new, and the pyrodex worked like new, too, despite over 25 years storage in a 160º summertime temp garage shop.

With roundballs in my .54cal Flint Deerstalker, Flint Trade Rifle, and cap Cabelsa "Sporter" Hawken, I can plink grapefruit-sized targets all day long. At around 50 yards the RB & Minie perform with nearly same POA (maybe /25" lower for the Minie.

At 100 yards, the Minie drops off 3-4" and groups poorly.

I seldom use the Lee minies, except when plinking gallon water jugs at 50 yards or less.

That 40+ year old jar of minies may last me another 40 years :rotf:

If I took time & effort, I suppose I could work up a heavier load for the Lee Minies to get better performance, but they would be no fun to shoot because of excessive recoil. Plus it's a waste of the extra powder needed to make them work beyond 50-75 yards. Also, the Minie wastes more lead per shot & from elk to barking squirrels, won't kill any deader than the capable PRB already can.

Back