• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead free Alternative

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking into a pig hunt in California, but saw that it was a Condor Zone therefore no lead permited for hunting. I thought I had seen a report of someone using Brass round Balls. Any one rememeber that or have any experience with a lead substitute in there BP rifles?

I searched the forum but could not find anything.

Any help would be appreciated!

It was member "Roundball" that did it, find his name in the members list and search his "Topics",
I'd find it for ya but he's got me blocked.

I haven't tried them myself, but ITX round balls got decent reviews when they first came out. Based on my positive experiences with ITX shot for waterfowl, they'd be the first nontox I'd try for CA hunting. Kinda funny looking, but the shot actually pattern better than lead from my guns. They sure kill ducks better than steel by a large margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too, I've checked with some friends on other forums and he seems to be awol from several of his regular haunts, also since July.
He always posts photo's of his deer harvest(s) that he gives to "the needy family down the road".
There's been nothing this year.

If you have casting equipment, or know someone that does, this may be your best alternative:
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/leadfreebulletalloy.htm

There are a couple of reviews written. Sounds like this material casts slightly larger, and a bit lighter, but results in accuracy, penetration and fragmentation that are similar to lead.

Pricey, but the alternatives all seem to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
No disrespect intended at all.....I'm as genuinely concerned as you probably are...

Last I heard he was having some health issues...
All I can do is hope for the best. he has me blocked too :v

Regarding the OP's topic...
The best thing to do would be to contact the California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife and get the strait dope right from them.....rather than forum speculation....

armakiller said:
Roundball has not made a post since July :confused: I wonder if he is still with us.

Roundball is fine. Just got burned out on forums. I certainly miss his excellent testing reports (like the brass ball experiment) and his photography was always exceptional. But people come and go and come back again each to his/her own priorities and interests at the time.

Good to hear.

He's always been more a doer than a typist, and he has little patience for the typists and carpists who yammer and type all the time, but never seem to report any shooting.

jrmflintlock said:
I don't currently have a .58 but may look into that too.

Likely as not, you'll be as happy as the rest of us proud owners. The jump up from a 50 to a 54 cal is worthwhile. But when going from a 50 up to a 58, you'll really notice the difference on game.

In lead you're jumping from a 177 grain ball up to 279 grains along with the bump in diameter. Yet with hunting loads the trajectories are very reasonable for 100 yard shooting.

I have just started using the 54 ITX round bal. I have not shot anything with them but they pattern good out of my GPH. They are listed as legal on the Ca Fish and Wildlife web. A pig would be A nice way to test them.

A related question: I have also started looking for alternatives to a lead round ball because California intends to be totally lead free for hunting in a few years. I like my .50 cal. so...does anyone know of lead-free conical bullets that would add the extra weight without going to a larger caliber?

Ever see the movie "Centennial"?😄
Remember the round ball that killed Lame Beaver!!

I have had several .54 in the past and am currently building another. I debated a .58 for that reason.

So I do plan to try out the suggested round balls on a pig. As soon as the rifle is finished. :grin:

Thanks again to all who posted!!

Back