• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fella's,

BS or NOT? It's a story I've heard, If it's true I hope your old enough that you don't plan on having kids. Especially if your carry'n your pour'd round balls around a set of your own.

About x-ray room lead... a feller once told me.

That "used" lead is hot as all heck! I'm not gonna say what town but for fun we used to take the newbies out when we were carry'n giger counters to an old x-ray room lead dump site. We'd tell'em it was an old military bomb disposal sight and watch their eyes get real white when we sent them over the right hill .. man they made those things click.

Spot

Prolly bs

Y'know, there might be some advantages to using radioactive lead. How long does it take a squirrel to die from radiation poisoning? :crackup:
Bill
:thumbsup:

Y'know, there might be some advantages to using radioactive lead. How long does it take a squirrel to die from radiation poisoning? :crackup:
Bill
:thumbsup:

And it falls out of the tree pre-cooked... :crackup:

Does anyone have any other good ways to get lead?
As odd as it may sound, I just bought 25 pounds of clean soft lead off eBay. While it was more than I'd spend for old pipe or sheathing at a scrap yard, this stuff is already cleaned and in "cupcake ingot" form. Works out to around 8 cents a ball for my .69 musket or 2 cents a ball for my .50 rifle. Again, more than I'd pay at a recycler, but cheap enough for me...and I don't have to fool with going to recycling yards, cleaning, buying large quantities, etc. I just hit the buy button, pay from my PayPal account, and it shows up at my door in 3-5 days ready for the lead pot.
Just be careful when looking for lead on eBay, a lot of it is either wheelweight or harder "bullet" lead.
WJ

Just be careful when looking for lead on eBay, a lot of it is either wheelweight or harder "bullet" lead.
WJ

The shipping cost can also be more than the cost of the lead.

The shipping cost can also be more than the cost of the lead.
I thought the same thing. I figured heavy lead would be really expensive to have shipped to me. This is not true.
NOPE!!! I paid a whopping $5 for USPS Priority shipping for 25 pounds of lead to be delivered to my front door. Nothing expensive about that at all.
There appears to be a loophole where one can stuff a prepaid Priority Mail box with 25 pounds of weight and it's still the flat pre-paid box rate. I see most folks selling lead on eBay are only charging $5-$8 for shipping in quantities small enough (1 - 25 lbs) to fit into a Priority Mail box. Works for me.
It's a bummer for the mailman though.
WJ

Postage Stamp is Now a TAX Stamp!
Back in the 80's Ronnie Regan took USPS monies to help settle the deficit. The constitution says, the only monies to be used for expenses by the government shall be raised through TAXES!.
Now every time they raise the so called "postage stamp" it is a raise in TAXES! One more way of them raiseing taxes with out you knowing about it.

Woody

It can't be just any Priority Mail box, it has to be one of their Flatrate Priority boxes. Yep, it does work, i just shipped about 20-25 lbs Of Obsidian to Bushwhacker in Texas from Oregon for $7.70. Would have cost me about $30 to ship it in the box i had it in. Quite a savings.

you must be getting dislexic,it was me!!!! :: :: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

p.s
had a slight delay on the flints but will get them out to you this week

Guy's two things.

An very very overlooked source of lead -

Telephone company -

The old telephone cables had a 1/4" lead sheath... They remove them all the time, if your in a rural area the old cable splices had about a 3ft by 4foot sheet of lead around them...
Get to know your local bell guy... buy him some coffee!
- Don't beleive me as RollingB... I had so much lead I had to give him some... hehehehe (sorry I'm a phone guy)

Radio active lead ?

I looked and looked for info on any danger ... only found it's more of a water contaminate problem than a radio active one? Jury's still out but due to the lack of info. it may not be that big of a subject.. only problem with making that conclusion is not too many hospitals have closed shop in the last xx years.

Keep yer powder dry.
Spot

I thought the same thing. I figured heavy lead would be really expensive to have shipped to me. This is not true.
NOPE!!! I paid a whopping $5 for USPS Priority shipping for 25 pounds of lead to be delivered to my front door. Nothing expensive about that at all.
There appears to be a loophole where one can stuff a prepaid Priority Mail box with 25 pounds of weight and it's still the flat pre-paid box rate. I see most folks selling lead on eBay are only charging $5-$8 for shipping in quantities small enough (1 - 25 lbs) to fit into a Priority Mail box. Works for me.

This is surprising. I never thought about there being no weight restrictions with flat rate priority mail. This is good to know. However, I still could have purchased another 20 lbs of lead, from my local scrap metal recycler, with the $5 you paid for postage. It was 24 cents/lb the last time I bought some. I got 282 lbs for $72, tax included.

What you may not realize is that hospitals are constantly remodeling. I have a friend that runs a construction crew at our local hospital. He has given me hundreds of pounds of lead in the last year. Every time I see him he asks how I'm doing on lead and to let him know when I need some more. I am pretty set but maybe I should just get while the gettin' is good?
Idaho PRB :hmm:

What you may not realize is that hospitals are constantly remodeling. I have a friend that runs a construction crew at our local hospital. He has given me hundreds of pounds of lead in the last year. Every time I see him he asks how I'm doing on lead and to let him know when I need some more. I am pretty set but maybe I should just get while the gettin' is good?
Idaho PRB :hmm:

Idaho....Better get, while getting is good. This was my "stash" from last spring / summer. Each of those ingots weigh just over 1 lb....Somewhere in the neighborhood of 650lb. total bullet alloy, a little over 400lb. pure lead.. That stack on the left...pure lead (BHN 6) does not look near so healthy right now.

Stumpkiller once refered to this picture as a pile of "Honey Drippings".....well, it is slowly dripping away. Get that lead while ya can! :m2c:

Russ

Alloys.jpg

Has anyone had this lead tested for radiation? This is all shielding from xray machines and modern imaging equipment. Just wonder when the epa will require "special" storage for the old hospital lead.

Having worked in the Nuclear industry for several years, lead will not become radioactive when exposed to Xrays. It stops them nto absorbs. About the only way to make lead radioactive is it if it is exposed to neutrons.
:m2c:
Waya

I used to shoot a lot of 10 meter air pistol. I have around 50 pounds of almost pure lead left over from my pellet trap after I've already cast 25 pounds of RB, MaxiBall and homemade mold bullets for my .50 cal Hawken. Fanatic airgun shooters in your area may have lead pulled from their traps they will give to you.

Russ My powder magazine looks like your lead room.

I buy a pound or two of powder (GoexFFF & FF ) a month.
From all the BS the government is comeing out with, :curse: I will make sure I have enough to last me the rest of my life time with out haveing to revert to that pyrodex manure. :thumbsup:
Call me :youcrazy: but I believe if they have their way you won't be able to buy it with in a few years. :cry:
My lead is getting accumlated some but not like your's.
My son-in-law works as a radioligist so I now have a connection. The worn out vests you wear in a x-ray room have lead and they replace them every so often and you guessed it, I am the junk man :)

Woody

Back