• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonegun1894 said:
That is a great source that I'd never thought about. Guess who I'm gonna go talk to next time the fair is in town? Thank you.

X2!!

:thumbsup:

HD

Mooman76 said:
I did a car battery years ago before I knew better. There is allot less lead in them than you would think. Not worth the effort anyway.

+1 here. Never again, was messy and not worth it at all.

I have experience handling the chemicals in the battery, (and caustic chemicals / acids in general)so I knew what I was doing and did it safely, but it was DEFINITELY not worth the trouble.

This is the Holy Grail of bullet casting! Once lead is alloyed with another metal it is impossible to un-alloy the mixture. The addition of tin, zinc, linotype etc makes the metal harder than pure lead and melting the mixture and hoping that the lighter metals will rise to the top of the pot wont happen. Brass is a mixture of copper and Zinc. Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin. Melt either of them and the base metals will not seperate, they remain brass and bronze. Sadly, the same fate for hard lead. Fluxing molten lead will remove impurities (dirt) that arent alloys but will never remove the harder metal.
Hard lead is (in my opinion), OK for smoothbores and perhaps workable in patched round ball guns. Most of my shooting is in Minnie-Ball rifles and soft lead is critical for any sort of accuracy. Bob E

i use lead for lead :grin:
anytime I see a tire, weight, an old fishing wieght, some spare bullet left over - i pocket it.
a good friend once found a block (6x6x4) of lead in a a garage and had no use for it. :v

for me, lead is a catch as catch can affair.

Back