• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leaving C&B loaded

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Paradork: you have made 5 posts and every one is about a carry gun for self protection and something you can leave loaded, and use for self defense. I don't want to dissuade you from black powder firearms but a percussion revolver normally has a long barrel and is noticeable to others if you carry it in a holster and it is slower to reload and more difficult to clean and most folks load only five chambers for safety reasons. In short, I think you might want to think more about a 2 1/2" barrel, 6 shot 38 special type double action revolver.

smoothshooter said:
Just curious: why would using a gun for protection make you "uneasy"?

Maybe, like me he just doesn’t like the idea of having to shoot someone with anything.
Taking a life is permanent. You will always see their faces, all your life.

William Alexander

From someone who carries a BP revolver for protection just swap the chambers with an alcohol pad before loading, load with a tight fitting ball and tight fitting caps. DO NOT use any lube it can contaminate the powder or if you put it over the ball it will melt and drip down your leg don't ask me how I know :redface:

Maybe, like me he just doesn’t like the idea of having to shoot someone with anything.
Taking a life is permanent. You will always see their faces, all your life.

Well....if ya don't shoot him :surrender: and he shoots you I wonder if he will see yer face all his life? :confused: Nahhh
likely be too stoned on meth er something and wont remember a thing. :idunno:

paradork said:
I guess this has turned into a BP as a protection thread. I have no doubts about its capabilities, just was wondering about having a cylinder I can put in it and go for a walk in the woods. If I manage not to shoot cause they sound like so much fun I can just wipe the gun down and not have to worry a lot about it. Its still one I'd have to keep a close eye on I understand. The thought of using a gun for protection makes me uneasy. I think I'd get a lot more use outa one of these than a pocket sized revolver. Thanks for the advice and input. Now I just gotta find one on sale.
That's about it. If you don't shoot on an outdoor jaunt, wipe the gun off and store it in a dry place. The powder will last months, if not years, and will not hurt the gun. As for personal defense, an exhaustive test a few years ago proved the percussion .44s were on a par with .44 and .45 caliber centerfire revolvers...not counting the Magnums. Get one and enjoy the heck out of it!

I like BP, I have shot thousands of rounds of
BP but I am not going to use any BP revolver for defense unless it is the only thing I have. Anything can go wrong at any time with any firearm or ammunition but IMHO there are more likely to be problems with ignition with something that does not fire fixed ammunition. A .44 cal. Dragoon, Walker, Remington 1858 or Colt 1860 Army can certainly be lethal at combat ranges and a well-tuned one can be reliable but I simply am not interested in taking the chance.

MSW said:
Deputy, that's got to be the strangest story I've heard in many years ... sort of thing MythBusters would do ...

why go to all that trouble?

Do I assume correctly that when the cops arrived she pretty much 'fessed up?

does kinda leave you scratching your head...

:hmm:

Not right away, but she left the bullet mold in the freezer.......Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Well having been in the position of having to rely on a BP pistol in a moment of need I have no problems doing so again.

I haven't had a FTF with a BP cap and ball in a very long time. But I am very meticulous and careful as I load a revolver. Takes me about 15-20 minutes to get the job done. Back when I would just load and not take my time I would get FTF at least once out of six shots.
If you take care to do it right every time, your FTF rate goes down substantially.

Millermpls said:
Would it be blasphemy to suggest a Howell conversion cylinder for SD?

Not blasphemy just not my idea of the way to go. I prefer my Colt Combat Commander to any C&B revolver, at least in the context of the world in which I live.

Cynthialee said:
Well having been in the position of having to rely on a BP pistol in a moment of need I have no problems doing so again.

I haven't had a FTF with a BP cap and ball in a very long time. But I am very meticulous and careful as I load a revolver. Takes me about 15-20 minutes to get the job done. Back when I would just load and not take my time I would get FTF at least once out of six shots.
If you take care to do it right every time, your FTF rate goes down substantially.

Good for you. I can reload the Commander in seconds and have complete reliability. I just don't consider 175 year old plus technology something I want to stake my life on if I don't have to.

:thumbsup:
I love my muzzleloaders and love shooting them and everything about them, except......they ain't on the nightstand or carried for self defense.

I frequently take a cap and ball on ground hog patrol. If not shots are fired, I remove the cylinder and store it in a leather pouch to be placed back in the gun for the next walk. I use grease over the ball to seal the chamber and nothing on the nipples other than caps. Never had a misfire, even with the cylinder stored for two years.

As for self protection, it wouldn't be my first choice, but it would sure beat whistling dixie.

Back