• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lefthand Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjschieber

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new here but not to flintlocks. I have hunted with them for over 30 years. 1-½ years ago I was hurt and my left arm no longer works like it should. I have had to change from a righty to a lefty for shooting. I am now on a disability pension so I do not have a lot of money to spend on a new flintlock. I know that Lyman and Traditions have left hand models. My question is does any one know of any other manufactures that make left handed flintlocks? I do know that there are a lot of custom makers but they are too costly for me. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Bill, sorry for your injury. I'm a lefty, and the only other lefthanded flintlock of which I know, besides the two you mention, is The Isaac Haynes rifle offered as a kit by Jim Chambers...that's a lot more expensive than the two you mention...If you decide to go to the Lyman, look at their Deerstalker...it is a couple of pounds lighter than the GPR...not very traditional looking, but a good shooter..Hank

Bill1914 said:
I am new here but not to flintlocks. I have hunted with them for over 30 years. 1-½ years ago I was hurt and my left arm no longer works like it should. I have had to change from a righty to a lefty for shooting. I am now on a disability pension so I do not have a lot of money to spend on a new flintlock. I know that Lyman and Traditions have left hand models. My question is does any one know of any other manufactures that make left handed flintlocks? I do know that there are a lot of custom makers but they are too costly for me. Thank you for any help you can give me.
TC makes (or at least used to make) a left handed Renegade...don't know if that style is of interest to you or not...if so, give a call to TC's Fox Ridge store at 800-243-4570

BILL, I TOO CHANGED TO A "LEFTY" I LOST MY RIGHT EYE.(CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE) ANY WAY,I HAD TWO FLINTERS AT FIRST I WAS NERVOUS ABOUT SHOOTING THEM I BUILT A LEFTHAND TRADE GUN IT SEEMS AWKWARD TO PRIME OR TAKE CARE OFCAUSE I AM STILL RIGHT HANDED BUT I CANSHOOT THE RIGHT HANDED ONES LEFTYJUST FINE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU
STICKWALKER

Stickwalker.
IM a lefty too. Did you have to inlet your stock for the lock or did you find someone who makes them pre inlet?

I GOT A NORTH STAR WEST CHIEFS GRADE . THEY ARE ROUGH INLETTED. A FAIR AMOUNT OF HAND WORK ,BUT I AM HAPPY WITH IT STICKWALKER

Being a lefty shooter, I have both left and right handed rock locks. Truthfully, I pay no heed whatsoever when shooting them, never been bothered by the RH locks. Same for the cast off or lack of a cheek piece.

Sorry about your injury. I'm left eye dominate and as of now shoot a right handed flintlock lefty. Don't have any problems at all. I'm in the process of building myself another left hand flinter for target shooting since I don't hunt. I'd give it a go before you decide to buy a lefty. ...........George F.

As a fellow lefy I am glad to read this thread it will relax me even more the next time out with my Renegade right hander.

Bill1914 said:

For roundball accuracy you can't do better in an "off the rack" rifle than the Traditions or Lyman, as both are very competitive even against customs. I have shot with (and against) both of these rifles and they are "top knotch".

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Caywood makes their Wilson trade gun in a left hand version. I have one, and the reason I bought it was because I wanted a left-handed smoothbore to shoot.
I'm just not sure how much it costs compared with Lyman or some of the others.

Cruzatte

Bill: You are going to be happier with the Lyman Great Plains Rifle in Left Hand Flint. I have a custom made American Fowler built in LH Flint by Craig Witte of Fairmont, Illnois, for much less than most people charge. It has no patchbox, or brass furniture. Buttplate, triggerguard, and sideplate are case hardened steel. Siler lock. Single trigger. If you can spend more money, I am sure that Craig can work with you. The cost on this project was greatly reduced by getting rid of the frills. He's in the phone book.

Bill, have you tried shooting your right hand guns off the left side? I am right handed and last week shot a friend's left hand flinter and other than priming, cockin and handeling the gun I didn't notice any difference.

I would like to thank everyone. I did try my right-handed rifle and was very uncomfortable with it. I found a lightly used Lyman Great Plains in left-hand for only $270.00. So I jumped on the deal and cannot wait to try it out. Again thank you. You are the greatest. Bill

"ONLY $270" gees that sounds like a GREAT deal to me! glad ya found it... funny thing about leftys..and i'm one.. if ya find a ml ya really like and it really shoots well fer ya,seems that right left thing ain't such a big thing after all.i bought a custom l.h. flinter last year,but come time fer huntin, that ole r.h. flinter just jumped in my arms...still aworkin on that lefty gun.. i'll get there,probably a lil'faster now that i'm involved in this great forum,dang ya can learn alot here.. and unlearn some stuff too.. GOOD LUCK! let us know how ya do.. RC :thumbsup:

Bill1914 said:
I would like to thank everyone. I did try my right-handed rifle and was very uncomfortable with it. I found a lightly used Lyman Great Plains in left-hand for only $270.00. So I jumped on the deal and cannot wait to try it out. Again thank you. You are the greatest. Bill

Now your all set. I expect to see some #1 targets in Musketman's shootin' matches. :winking: :hatsoff:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I HAD TO START SHOOTING LEFT HANDED ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO DUE TO AN EYE PROBLEM AND FOUND IT SUPER DIFFICULT. I NOW USE A PAIR OF SMALL MIRRORS ON MY RIFLE AND CAN SHOOT RIGHT HANDED WITH MY LEFT EYE. IT KEEPS ME ON THE LINE AND AFTER SOME PRACTICE, COMPETITIVE. SURE IS EASIER THAN GOING LEFTY AFTER 40 YEARS. :hmm:

Latest posts

Back