• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lefty Beginner Kit??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzborden

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Guys. First off, thanks for all of the inspiration and information. I've been researching several Lefty Kits, and I've sort of narrowed it down to a Track of the wolf, or a TVM kit. I understand the quality of a Chambers, but honestly, that's a big investment for a "first" gun. My thoughts are to build a a .54 or .58 Cal percussion, 36" barrel. My primary use will be whitetails, and the ballistic advantage of a .58 is attractive to me. I have to admit, I got started with an inline .50, and it just didn't call to me like doing it in a traditional way. Does anyone have any input on these thoughts? How do the two companies compare? Am I biting off more than I can chew? Is there a style of rifle that would be easier than another? (and not just "poor boy" style). Ok...as you can see...I'm just looking for some advice and a "push" before I jump. Ok... Merry Christmas, Gonz

I would rate the two companies about the same, quality-wise. I think I'd prefer the TVM styling just a tad better! Both have pre-carved stocks, etc. Just look them over closely and pick the one you like best. Good luck. :thumbsup:

What style are you looking at? Muzzleloader Builders' Supply (Ozone, Arkansas) has a left handed fullstock Hawken, in caplock. Pecatonica River may have some lefties, I can't tell from my catalog. A Leman would be easier than a Hawken, but if the lock and trigger are inlet, you could do the Hawken. Both TVM and Track have good stuff. Maybe you could call up MBS and Pecatonica River's web sites and see what they have now. My catalogs are old.

There are kits and then there are kits.
If you are a novice, make extra sure that the kit you buy has a fully inletted stock. Some are inlet for the barrel only, and you have to do all the inletting of the lock, and other components. Inletting a lock can be a bear for a rank beginner.

Back