• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Length of barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael76

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone ,
I am looking at buying a fowler 62cal 20 gauge smooth boar . I will be hunting turkey and maybe deer ( I already have a 54 cal rifle for deer) and I'm not sure what barrel length I should get . Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks

I personally who'll go with at least 42 inches. Performance with shot in my experience is better with longer barrels. I seem to get tighter patterns a bit easier with the longer barrels. The round balls seem to shoot fine with about any barrel length I have tried. BJH

I agree with Mr. Habermehl, when it comes to muzzleloading shotguns, a longer barrel will give a better pattern. Just how long should a barrel be? I think that depends on the individual and his hunting situation. Just make it as long as practical.

CO Elkeater said:
The muzzle should be at the curl of your bottom lip, keep your top knot safe.

The curl of my bottom lip???? Do you mean that with the butt of the gun on the ground, the muzzle should be at my bottom lip? Why? Wouldn't the hunting conditions be a pretty big factor? Wouldn't something more like a canoe gun be better in heavy brush or dense woods or when sitting in a brush blind hunting deer or turkey? I can see setting such a standard for barrel length would be good for someone who is hunting in a more open area where a long barrel length wouldn't present a problem.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just wanting your input on whether such a general standard can fit all situations. :thumbsup:

While conversing with a rifle builder he quoted my statement from one of his books. He is pondering retirement after a lifetime of building rifles. I have no doubt of his intention.

I agree with you that it is up to the individual and his situation. I carry a 26" barrel in the San Juan Mtns. A 50" barreled rifle is under construction for less challenging terrain. But I will not rule out hunting the mtns in future years with the LR.

Safety should always be in the equation.

Back