• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Les Misarables

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife purchased this in DVD and we watched it last night. All in all, a well done movie with a lot of history worked in. Not unlike The Patriot, it still reeked of Hollywood. The guns were interesting. Charlyvilles were the only long guns I could pick out. A wide variety of smoothbore flint pistols were shown. One had a barrel that looked about 18" long. Many others were short. From appearance, I'm guesstimating they were all in the .69 to .75 cal. range.
But, the "Hollywood" part that caught my attention was that just before shooting the frizzens were open. :doh: Apparently, no one on the set had a notion of how those flinters really worked. :youcrazy: Oh, well, the special effects "bang" part was well done.

When I saw the play (maybe 15 years ago) the only actual firing was done with an ever-so-slightly-tarted up trapdoor Springfield.

I have seen two different movie versions of this story. The first starred Gerard De Pardue (sp) from the Christopher Columbus movie fame, in the leading role and John Malkovitch as the prison wardon\constable out to make life misserable. The second, more recent film starred Leam Neeson. Both good movies and great entertainment. My vision to see what guns were used isn't to good! Everything moves to fast and details are more of a blurr to me. But the costumes for the French Napolianic era seemed OK.

Rifleman1776 said:
Coffeecup said:
When I saw the play (maybe 15 years ago) the only actual firing was done with an ever-so-slightly-tarted up trapdoor Springfield.

Time period for the story was about 1799-1815. Uh-Oh! :shocked2: Trapdoor? Hollywood. :wink:
In a movie about Catherine the Great they used converted Mosin Nagants with flash pans.

Trapdoors? Hollywood? Made to look like flintlocks? Nahhhhh.......couldn't be..
DSC00034.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

Back