• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lessons learned...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino6

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Posted about this rifle about a month ago, thought it might be good to post what I have learned up to now. Rifle is Investarms Hawken .50, bought in yard sale for little money. Barrel is pitted and rifling is very shallow. Looked up manufacture date and it seems it was manufactured in 1976.

Lot of experience with centerfires, first blackpowder rifle.

Lessons learned:

1. Pyrodex RS is a poor substitute for BP. Many of what I would call "hangfires" with Pyrodex, nearly 100 percent ignition with Goex FFG.

2. This one will not shoot conicals with the barrel condition, off the paper. When loading Maxi's, they will almost drop down the barrel and make me nervous that they won't stay in place over the charge.

3. Take soap and water to the range to clean the BP off hands and face.

4. Even with a trashed barrel, they can be made to shoot with enough patience. My settled on load is .490 Hornady, 15 lubed patch, 80gr FFG Goex and CCI Mag cap. Yes, I worked up from 50gr and this is the sweet spot.

5. They are a pain to clean but now have it down to a routine, not so bad now. I won't have a dirty gun, always have taken care of my equipment, maybe a little anal in this respect.

6. Wife will ask, "why do you need more BP stuff, I thought you had it all in that big box." "you're going to the range again?" etc...

7. BP is more addictive than cocaine.

8. Where is the money coming from to buy a flinter, and how will I explain this need to wifie?

9. BP smell kinda grows on you, kind of like Hoppes #9.

10. 3 weeks til primitive weapons deer season starts, need at least three more trips to the range just to be sure.

I know exactly where you are coming from, i just started this summer with a gpr 54, my wife gets ****** when i tell her i need another pound of goex too, but i think she might want a divorce when i buy a 10lb lot over the internet next week since i cant find anymore around here lol, but just like cocaine, you have to feed the addiction :idunno:

OK guys, a little lesson in covert activities here. Keep all your stuff somewhere where the wife can't readily see it. Have stuff delivered to your work address or a friends house. Have the same gun case for every rifle. Don't ever pull out more than one rifle at a time in her presence. Hopefully, you are all aware of the concept of "squirrel money".The less your wife knows about the guns the better;as far as my wife knows,I have refinished the same rifle 3 times :wink: She didn't seem to notice one was a foot longer and had a flintlock on it. Not to mention how I got that stained stock so nice and white and "raw" again. Best to ask forgiveness than permission. And as for internet activities, tell your sweetheart to be glad you're not draining the credit card on adult content sites.

Ghettogun,
That is some real good advice. I mean, if I didn't know any better, it almost sounds like you're speaking from personal experience. I have it easy with my girlfriend, I just have to occasionally get her something new for her (10/22), and she seems to be happy. I'm trying to get her converted to BP, but not much luck yet. She will shoot the CVA Squirrel a dozen shots 2-3 times a year if i do the loading and cleaning, but that's about it. She also hasn't noticed that the BP guns seem to mysteriously multiply.

Been doing that for years Lonegun.
Wife just now ignores me and goes shopping. She knows that I am going to do what I want to when I want to.
Did put a limit on my credit card though. :thumbsup:

Rhino6,
As to Lesson #6...met my very significant other at a Rendevous in 1977, where she won the Womens Aggregate, and out-shot most of the fellows... :2. Just sayin', no need to hide the BP addiction when two people share it!!
Good Luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Shreck

Credit card??? Heavens No! Cash only, it leaves no trail. :haha: Everyone needs a stash of "mad money" to avoid her getting mad. Money? What money? Gun? I've always had that. :v

My problem is I haven't aquired enough BP guns to "cover up" a new one. She knows I only have 2 rifles so hiding a new one amidst the others isn't an option yet. Also, I haven't mastered the answer to "Why do you need another gun?"..."Whats the difference between the one you want and the ones you already have?". Best answer I've come up with is "Why do you have 4 pair of the same shoes only different colors?" She just gives me THE LOOK.

yeah that's a tough one to answer, I know I wound up with 4 in less than that many years. 2 I had made, both left hand flinters, the other 2 production caplocks, they dont ever see daylight since the flinters moved in. I really thought I only needed one when I got back into BP, but the more guns I get around and the more I see, well you know how an addiction can be. My tip is rat hole money and sell off stuff you no longer use.But as far as explaining to a non shooting wife why you need another one, well :idunno:

I traded my wife for a really nice rifle, never been happier! :rotf:
But seriously, I have no wife, but lots of guns :blah:

The answer to this dilemma is explained clearly and completely by Patrick McManus in Gun Running Past Your Wife.

My solution to your dilema is this: PAY with CASH! ( no paper trails) My wife knows excactly whats in our bank account. ALSO,I have a safe, holds about 14 long guns or rifles. I keep it locked..My wife has no idea what I have or don't have in it for that matter..I DON'T educate her..lol It's best if all the guns look alike to her.. I sell and trade a few. BUT MOSTLY BUY Rifles, shotguns and the like..and she has NO idea!.:haha:

If only I could get this lazy old rifle to clean the house! All it seems to want to do is go out and smoke up my powder.

You guys don't have it so bad. My Wife not only counts rifles and handguns, she also counts the number of beers I drink :shake: !

blackamg said:
You guys don't have it so bad. My Wife not only counts rifles and handguns, she also counts the number of beers I drink :shake: !

Dude.. That blows :(

Rhino I like your list but #3. I like Hydrogen Peroxide to wash the hands does a great job also takes care of the little scratches one gets. Keeps the car steering wheel clean also. Had not had trouble with dirty face from blackpowder but would use soap and water on it.
Fox :hatsoff:

got the same hawken 5 days ago in a kit at the local sports store. traded for an old longbow.lots of fun.seems to like 80gr 490 15patch lubed with palmalive soap and water squezzed tried.is this ok

Best lesson I ever learned might be 6A on your list.

Got my wife interested. Now I have a shooting pard, hunting pard, and ready support for new stuff. :thumbsup:

Of course, she gets first pick of new stuff that comes through the door! :rotf:

Back