• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let There Be Light: The Experimental Archaeologist Strikes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

A while back a question was asked about lighting camp.

I responded with a comment about oil lamps.

Here is what I'm talking about:

1wickclose.jpg

The earliest lamps were made using natural fibers and flammable fats. More of a candle than a lamp, it nevertheless worked, and worked well.

onewickdark.jpg

Here it is in the dark.

fatlamp2wicksclose.jpg

Need more light? Here's an extra wick thrown in.

The nice thing about these is that they tend to burn cool - I actually spilled some on myself when I was cleaning up, and it was just warm.

If I had done this correctly, I would have gone out, found clay, formed it, fired it (maybe, depending upon the period), and killed a bear to fill it. I would also have found hemp or another tough plant, braided it, let it dry, then treated it.

As was, I happened to have this ceramic - can't swear as to if it's clay - flower pot thingy out in the garage near my casting stuff. Don't remember where I got it or why. I do know it was there though, so I used it.

I had a coffee can next to the stove inside. It held the drainin's of all sorts of cooking: bacon, beef, chicken, hell, I dunno what all.

It was scooped out, melted, and poured into the clay vessel.

The wick really is the hardest part, and it's not all that hard. You look on the internet and you'll find all sorts of complex ways to treat the wick material. Not necessary at all.

Take a piece of thick weave cotton cloth, preferably uncolored and washed twice. Cut a long strip - twice as long as you want the wick to be - about 1/8" wide. Knot the ends.

Put the material in "just melted" beeswax. Don't get the stuff too hot. Put the wick material into the wax and let it set in there for a few minutes.

When you pull out the wick, pinch it between your fingers to wring out the extra wax. This is why I said not to get it too hot! ;)

Now you need to twist it. I made a long piece to I just chucked one end into a drill. If you're feeling frisky, you can do this by hand.

Spin the wick tight. Start bringing one end toward the other - the middle will want to twist together. This is what you want. (Remember I said make the wick twice as long as you'll want it? This is why).

Firm up that twist, wipe any excess wax off, and sink it into the (hopefully) still-soft fat. (If it's not still soft, just warm it up some).

Light it and see how it works.

I prefer to keep extra wick material around for transferring flame. I use small versions of this lamp (made from cap containers) to start camp fires.

If you can't risk a camp fire for whatever reason, throw a few more wicks into the lamp and use it to cook.

And, very importantly, as you cook bacon or whatnot, pour the grease into the side of your lamp.

This thing should last for years, and your cavemen forefathers will be proud of you.

Oh yeah, forgot: That slate I'm using, if you want it to direct light better, just use a piece of tin, or coat the slate with a thin sheet of lead.

Josh

No doubt about it, grease and oil lamps pre-date candles by a long shot and were found in cultures the world over. Natural fibers of many types work well as wicks also.

Thanks folks.

Really didn't do so much.

The biggest problem with this (and with beeswax, now that I think of it) is critters wanting to eat it.

The fact that an oil lamp such as this burns for so long helps that, though. Just keep it burning overnight and use it to start your morning fire - I like small fires that don't make much smoke.

Wait until I get to feeling frisky. I'll be making fire bows and David-and-Goliath type slings. :thumbsup:

Josh

Josh, now try it outside in sub-zero weather. Betty lamps seem to work a lot better next to a roaring fire than they do in the cold. Lighting one that is froze hard can be a real chore, keeping it lit is another real chore. The cost of lighting is why folks went to bed with the dark and got up at dawn.

Many Klatch

I have an original hand forged greas lamp that I used to take to rendezvous. I often use linnen for a wick, coarse weave seemed to work better. The big problem was that the fat would often get hot and then I would have a grease torch for a few minutes.

More than 50 yrs. ago I lived for sometime in the high Artic. At times we'd go "igloo crawling" and find the Eskimos sitting around in their ice
house with only a pr. of pants or sometimes without even that
and nothing but a soapstone dish with some seal oil and a wick heating the place. Wick could be anything that will soak up the oil. There was always a removable block of ice in the ceiling that could be removed to let in some cool air when it got too hot. Course it won't work in an open tent.
Deadeye

I use a veggie oil version of this to light my off-grid house. It works real well for moderate light. Put about four to six of them together and read!

It sounds interesting, I do civil war and always looking for a period correct way of lighting a tent. But my question is how would they carry all the stuff for one? How would you carry the tallow or fat, that wouldn't creat a mess that would be period correct. Great if your in a static camp, and had storage areas, same with the wick what would be period correct to use? not many pieces of linen up in the mountains. Whats an alternative?

Poor Private said:
It sounds interesting, I do civil war and always looking for a period correct way of lighting a tent. But my question is how would they carry all the stuff for one? How would you carry the tallow or fat, that wouldn't creat a mess that would be period correct. Great if your in a static camp, and had storage areas, same with the wick what would be period correct to use? not many pieces of linen up in the mountains. Whats an alternative?

Gents;

I'll be exploring this, and other subjects, brought up throughout the thread.

I let the grease lamp sit for, well, I only lit it that once. The grease dried and had cracks in it, but it did not rot. I suspect salt had to do with this.

I added fresh grease from hamburger the other night, along with whatever else was in the grease jar. I think I spotted an oil layer in the jar as well.

It's now sitting in the garage on my casting bench. The temp is reading at 16 degrees Fahrenheit, and I opened the window above it and the garage door both, to try to keep it below 20 degrees. I'll film a lighting later, to see how well it works.

As for wick material, I've used danged near everything. If ya'll want to see something I can find in the woods, I'll kick up a burdock today or tomorrow. Anything that will absorb and hold a bit of grease up out of the rest so as to catch oxygen should work nicely.

If anyone would like to send me a bit of deer fat, raccoon fat, etc, I'll be glad to use that in a dugout wooden lamp with the burdock or twisted fibers or whatever. I really don't want to knock off a raccoon just for its fat stores, but I suppose I could illustrate how to boil water and/or make stew in an animal skin... and I've really never tried eatin' raccoon, so that might be an experience.

I'm still battling with this hand I broke, and even though the cast is off, I still have to be careful until the hard callus is done forming. I'd not be so careful if I were having to use it to survive, but since I'm able to take it easy, I'll choose to do so.

Been having this urge to build another sling (the stone throwin' kind) so I might do that as well. Maybe an atlatl and a spear.

I cannot believe that a long hunter would go out without a backup plan, spear or bow, in case the powder or whatnot should run out or get wet.

Josh

You can buy 'roman' oil lamps which are period and use oil (olive, canola etc) and they light the area very nicely. They use the same principal but are shaped like a 'genie' lamp and are made of clay or terracotta.

Cheers, DonK

Gents;

It was asked about cold.

Yesterday I set the lamp in the garage after topping off the grease.

It got nice and hard. It was 15 degrees when I put it out, and it slowly rose to 30 degrees over the course of the day and stayed there. I was hoping it would drop back to 15, but no such luck.

Anyway, here's a video using period equipment to light it :rotf:

(click)

I'm waiting for the temp to drop even more. If the mice stay away from it, this should prove fun.

Josh

Josh Smith said:
Gents;

It was asked about cold.

Yesterday I set the lamp in the garage after topping off the grease.

It got nice and hard. It was 15 degrees when I put it out, and it slowly rose to 30 degrees over the course of the day and stayed there. I was hoping it would drop back to 15, but no such luck.

Anyway, here's a video using period equipment to light it :rotf:

(click)

I'm waiting for the temp to drop even more. If the mice stay away from it, this should prove fun.

Josh

Gents, it's supposed to get to 14 degrees tonight. Is there still interest in this? If there is, I'll attempt to light it, but if not, I'll not worry about it.

Thanks,

Josh

Poor Private said:

Dried mullien leaves work great, not sure if it grows in your area but a quick google search will let you know. The stalk also makes a great hand drill spindle or even bow drill if it's big enough. Chris

Edit: Went ahead and looked it up for you. http://www.herbcraft.org/mullein.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old book called Nature Crafts by Ellsworth Jaeger (tenth printing, 1967) that tells how to make lamps like this, with either a twisted cloth or a mullein leaf for a wick. The book calls these "slush lamps".

Back