• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lighter hunting charges?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stumpkiller said:
"Too much is always enough."
Reminds me of an old saying I practice when hunting:
"I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

A body with mass does not have to be moving to possess energy. This "stored" energy is called "potential" energy while a moving body is called "kinetic" energy. Kinetic energy requires two components; velocity and mass. Velocity itself possesses NO energy; it MUST be combined with mass to produce kinetic energy. Mass, on the other hand possesses potential energy regardless of ANY velocity. Velocity nothing more than one state of matter.

This is why neutrinos which move at speeds close to light do not possess any energy that has/can be measured. They don't seem to have mass.

Now it's time to either get back on track or let this thread die. :dead: I vote to lay it to rest. :v:

There's nothing wrong with "the thread"...and it's intended point of discussion.
The problem now is that the side discussions have leaned way too far out over the edge...LOL.

And there's nothing wrong with that degree of discussion as such...it would just be better if it was in a thread of it's own...in fact, one of you could start one.

Last edited by a moderator:
To ALL,

As I said elsewhere, I see NO really good reason to use more powder than is necessary to reliably cause a "port to starboard pass through" on the targeted game.

For example, my 55GR load of Pyrodex behind my homebrewed 530GR minie balls will reliably "do the deed" on >100KG feral hogs & Texas WT, out of my Zouave "Civil War Centennial" replica, out to 100+M.
(60 grains is considered, by some folks, to be a STARTING load.)

Fwiw, 55grains is the MOST accurate load in MY "little rifle", "musketoon" or "whatever you want to call it".
(I refuse to argue about that!)

just my opinion, satx

colorado clyde said:
Gentlemen,the piont I was trying to make has been lost. I gracefully :surrender:
Wait, I'll go with you. :grin:

Spence

hanshi said:
Now it's time to either get back on track or let this thread die. :dead: I vote to lay it to rest. :v:
Well, what’s wrong with ye? Huh? Don’t you wanna have fun no more? :haha:

Spence

roundball said:
tenngun said:
Well I've killed more then one with lighter loasds.
Yes, I suspect a lot of us have...I've killed them with 20ga slugs, 12ga buckshot, a .22cal rifle, a .45cal handgun, broadheads, etc...but that's actually not the point of the discussion you quoted.
Some of us are just making the point that there are obvious / significant benefits of using heavier charges...no one is saying they're always required.

I went on to say you have to use the load you are comfortable with as your the one pulling the trigger.... My own experince is I don't need to "load for bear" to make clean quik kills on deer. I don't think PRB hunting buys you an advantage to use a magnum load. How ever I am not you. To me hunting is more then shooting game. It,for me, is a spritual experince. I have found bigger aint better...but if it makes you feel better to use a bigger load then by all means do so. I would rather see you burn too much then too little powder. TO ME I think the way to increase ML power is go for a bigger ball, not through adding powder. I would hesitate to take my .50 southren rifle after buffs, but would have no problem with my .62 even though my powder charge aint alot bigger.

One of my favorite sayings is if you shoot them in the foot it doesn't matter what you shoot them with, that said always go for the accurate load and shoot enough to know your firearm .I personally shoot 90 grains of 2f in both .50 and .54 Cal. It's what both rifles seem to like.

Sorry. I think that it's mostly understood that I like humor. In fact, its the only thing I get serious about :hmm: . So yes, I do like fun and the more fun the...well, funner :bull: . The threads been hijacked like a truck of TVs passing from one mob family to another, to another, to.....well, you see :eek:ff . The fun just started sorta leaking out, if you know what I mean :idunno: . Now a good infusion of more hilarity would change the situation and revive this thread. :dead:

Latest posts

Back