• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load for T/C .58 Big Boar?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old Lyman (back then they called it a plains rifle but it looks more like a trade rifle now)it really likes 120 grains of pyrodex select and a 570 rb. It makes a a real nice smack when it hits a 250 pound hog. Only problem is that you get to buy powder often. I have some big old nasty looking maxis but I think I would save them for Africa. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to go after Elk with the rb .

4570Tom said:
Does anyone have a favorite load for the T/C .58 Big Boar? Was thinking roundball, but open to conicals as well.

I'm not sure if thats 1-48 twist or not, being T/C I spect so.

I don't have a "Big Bore" but my .58 get a steady diet of 90 gr 3F with a .570 ball wrapped inside a .024 bear greased patch. Thats plenty for any deer at the ranges I shoot them at.

4570Tom said:
Does anyone have a favorite load for the T/C .58 Big Boar? Was thinking roundball, but open to conicals as well.

Does anyone know if the TC .58 had / has the same barrel as the GM's?
Just curious. Got my old .575 round ball mould fired up. It throws .571" diameter but what the hey, that's close enough.

GoodCheer said:
4570Tom said:

Does anyone know if the TC .58 had / has the same barrel as the GM's?
Just curious. Got my old .575 round ball mould fired up. It throws .571" diameter but what the hey, that's close enough.
TC's is a 28" x 1:48" twist, with shallow grooves;
GM's is a 32" x 1:70" twist with deep grooves;

Hope you guys don't mind pics I post when guys ask for loads. :surrender:This is at 50 yds.

2280589782_ec617d9d73.jpg

IMO, that rifle and that load will take most anything on the north american continent!
:thumbsup:

Well, now you have a hunting load that is good out to 100 yds. Its up to you now to cut that powder charge down and find the Other "SWEET SPOT" where you don't rattle your teeth, and have more than enough energy to push that ball through a paper target out to 50 yards. Start at 60 grains, and work down from there. Don't be surprised to find a load around 35-40 grains that will shoot one hole groups at 25 yards, and hardly recoil at all in that gun. For 50 yards, I am betting you can find the same accuracy as this heavy powder charge at about 60-65 grains.

With the heavy ball the gun shoots, it will completely penetrate the body of most big game species. If it were my gun I would only be loading that much powder if I were intending to hunt Bear.

Test my advice yourself, by doing comparison penetration testing. I have done it with 1" pine boards, spaced 1" apart. You have to make a frame or box to hold the boards, and they will be split, and splintered by those big balls, but it will teach you much about the power of that gun with even mild loads. I predict that the words, " freight train" will have a whole new meaning to you when you finish the tests. :thumbsup:

410-er said:
Hope you guys don't mind pics I post when guys ask for loads. :surrender:This is at 50 yds.

2280589782_ec617d9d73.jpg

Nice group! How did the lesser charges fair? How does your shoulder feel? :grin:

I tried 100-120grs.The 120 gave the tightest.I'm sure there is a sweet spot down around 70grs.Wanted this muzzy just for Bear/Elk so I never looked for a lesser load.I did try Maxis out just to say I did. :shocked2: BRUTAL WITH 100GRS!Hit about 8" lower at 50yds but centered.Only used about 3-4 out of the 20 in the pack.I'll stick with RB's.I did kill 1 doe with that load with the RB.Keeping the Maxis on hand in case of a loose Hippo or other shows up in the back yard. :rotf:

Back