• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loaded cannon found in New York City

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there was a cannon many many years in either Saco or Biddeford Maine that turned out to be loaded
I used to crawl all over that thing.
It was pointed at a bunch of buildings.

Makes me wonder how many canons out there are still loaded and no one knows it.

I guess we all need to make up some extra extra long ramrods and check if the cannons on the town square are loaded or not. That ought to get your name in the 6:00 news. :grin:

Many Klatch

This one at old fort Niagara is loaded with a rough-winged swallow's nest most summers....

IMG_2455.jpg

northern_rough_winged_swallow.jpg

Other cannon in different times and place have been reported loaded with the nests of starlings, house sparrows, bluebirds and kestrels.

...'course, that's gonna be a lot of feathers in the air should one of these things actually go off :wink:

Birdwatcher

Cynthialee said:
there was a cannon many many years in either Saco or Biddeford Maine that turned out to be loaded
I used to crawl all over that thing.
It was pointed at a bunch of buildings.

Makes me wonder how many canons out there are still loaded and no one knows it.

Make me wonder how many idiots there are out there who displayed those cannons without checking to see if they were loaded. :shocked2:

Birdwatcher said:
This one at old fort Niagara is loaded with a rough-winged swallow's nest most summers....

IMG_2455.jpg

Birdwatcher

See that red roofed building through the gate? That's Coast Guard Station Niagara, where I used to be stationed. For a history buff, there's no better place to be assigned.

I am finding it hard to believe that 200+ year old powder that has been submerged, and exposed to the elements is going to do much more that fizzle and make ALOT of smoke...

Anybody got an idea??

Rescue Mike said:
I am finding it hard to believe that 200+ year old powder that has been submerged, and exposed to the elements is going to do much more that fizzle and make ALOT of smoke...

Anybody got an idea??

BP does not go bad. if it gets wet, it just needs to dry out. many civil war cannon balls have gone off cause the ill informed put them to close to the fireplace.

-matt

Back