• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading and pulling round ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyc

32 Cal.
Reaction score
To learn as much and be prepared I decided to try an experiment. I loaded my gun (minus cap) and then proceeded to pull the bullet with my bullet puller that's located on the ram rod. I ran into a few problems:

1. Am I sopose to have a handle on the other end of the bullet puller? I tightened it as much as possible by griping the end of the ram rod between my fingers then began pulling. I could not pull the bullet out. I then asked my wife to hold the gun to the ground and I pulled on the bullet and still could not. (observing the very good rule of not having anything more than necessary in line with the muzzle.

I finally threaded a screw into the end of the ram rod (it's threaded there) and got plyers on the screw and then it pulled out w/o much difficulty. My problem was griping the rod not pulling it I guess.

2. Once I got the bullet out (patch came out with bullet) I then tiped the muzzle wanting to pour the powder back into a capsule to await disposal. Nothing came out. So, I stuck my bullet puller down (brass) and twisted a bit and the powder then broke up and came free.

Later I thought, I probably could have just fired the gun with a cap to dispose of the powder. Anyway, this brings three questions:

2a. Am I pressing the round ball into the gun with too much pressure causing the powder to pack so tightly?

2b. How do I dispose of my unfired powder that I do not wish to use now?

2c. Should I of just fired the gun w/o patch and round ball to expell the powder (and dispose of it)? If not, how do you get the powder out?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Well Jeremy, I am no expert but I will give it a try.

#1. yes it is easier to pull the ball with a handle of some sort on the rod, you can get a better grip as you found out.

#2a. When you loaded your ball in on top of the powder it compressed the powder which made it pack tighter. If you bounced your ramrod on the loaded ball, it would cause it to pack very tight. I usually just push it until I know it is firmly seated, I do not bounce the rod on the load.

#2b. To dispose of the powder once you do have it out of the barrel there are a few options. First, unless it has gotten wet, you can just put it back into your horn or flask to reuse next time. You could (and I DO NOT recommend this) light it with a match in an appropriate container. Again I do not recommend this. Others have suggested that you can take it out and spread it on your lawn or garden, it puts nitrates back into the soil.

#2c. I would not recommend just firing the powder charge off unless you live in the country where the neighbors will not complain. If I did that the cops would be here and I would have a lot of splainin to do. If you do fire it off, then you have to clean the barrel, if you pour it out, you can just wipe it down quickly and put it away.

Some will tell you not to pull the ball, that it is too dangerous. I personally feel it is no more dangerous than loading the ball, just have to keep clear of the muzzle. I use my cleaning rod with a "T" handle on it. I find a tree limb with a crotch to hold the "T" and pull it, or I loop a piece of rope around the "T" and tie it to something solid and in a safe direction and then pull the gun which removes the ball. This keeps me away from the muzzle of the gun and gives enough leverage to easily pull the ball. Of course, the pan is not primed when I do this and the hammer is down.

Like I said, I am no expert, but I hope that this will help you some.

NoDeer

IMO, No Deer has it right...and you're doing the right thing to be thinking ahead and planning for possible scenarios you might encounter at the range, or more importantly out on a hunt somewhere.

Particularly for hunting, you'll want to put together an assortment of items like a T-handle, jag, ball puller, patch worm, cleaning patches, dry patches, lubed patches, nipple, nipple wrench, nipple pick (or vent liner & pick) etc...you get the idea...because Murphy's Law will strike when you're a mile out into the woods and ruin your hunt unless you're prepared to deal with everything that come up (short of carrying a spare rifle).

And if you get the type of patch worm that is shaped like a long, strong coil (like a cork screw) I've found that it works best for augering down into and breaking up the compressed clump of powder.

But if you 'shoot' the powder out, you'll create a total (unnecessary) cleaning job for yourself...so the rule is:
"whatever you put into a barrel you should be prepared and able to remove it without firing the rifle".

PS:
Be sure the threaded tips of your ramrod are 'pinned' to the ramrod...if they're just glued or swage fit onto the rod, they can pull off at the worst possible time and end your hunt...another reason I like a solid brass rod.

Smart feller - practicing before it becomes necessary. I carry a 1" x 10" x 1/8" strap of leather in my hunting pouch. By wrapping this around the exposed bit of ramrod I get just enough additional grip to pull a ball; but it's still an ordeal. Last time I had to split a 1" sapling to grasp on either side of the leather for enough leverage. I'm using a pretty tight ball & patch combo.

Loaded without powder two months ago - first time in a dozen years or better. :rolleyes: It happens.

To dispose of powder, dampen it and bury it - makes good fertilizer with the nitrates and carbon. The soil absorbs it in short order.

Have you guys every used the CO2 discharges, just curious as to how well they work as far as cleaning up of the unburned powder.

I have an air compressor in the garage and use it to blow out loads into a box of old towels when I get home.
(got a TC CO2 discharger years ago but haven't used it yet)

Well, for a self-proclaimed not-an-expert, No Deer sure gave some expert answers, at least from where I'm sitting.

For a handle, look over in the Flintlock forum at the "Proper seating of ball and patch" thread. Bob1961's got a dandy idea for an attachment to a rod using a spare ball puller screwed into a starter. I hope Bob doesn't mind, but his pic is located at: http://www.hunt101.com/img/155227.jpg

Oh, and pay special attention to the advice in 2c. It's not only a good cleaning, but a WHOLE LOT of 'splainin to the local boys in blue. Seems that not only is it loud, but even without a ball, it sounds like (to quote the local gendarme) a &$#$* *()&^ cannon going off. Not to mention the danged car alarms too. :crackup:

Vic

ya beat me to it :applause:....not only does this work and work good but you will have a round ball to use for loading and a handle to pull the load if ya want to....i use the hole for loading so i don't ram the ram rod through my hand and the screw fits my rod for pulling..........bob

155227.jpg

155228.jpg

All these replies are good, but, I've never had to "pull a load" and always "shot" them out. I don't live in a populated area so I don't need to worry 'bout cops, or car alarms. :haha: :haha:

It only takes me a "second" to pull the trigger and a few "minutes" to clean tha bore, so it's FASTER fer me to shoot the load out, rather then pull it.

As far as "field conditions" go, I've never had a problem thet would require pull'n a ball and load. :results:

The "ONLY" times I've had to pull a roundball, was when I dry-balled my flintlocks. ::

YMHS
rollingb

have used the CO2 ball discharger for some years..it works best on percussion, as a flint dry-loaded ball will block the touch hole where you need to squirt in the CO2..a patent breech flint like the Lyman's work OK...the discharger in my range box is the 2nd I've[url] owned..made[/url] the mistake of leaving the 1st one with a cylinder in it, in the sun on an August day...blew up...not a big explosion, but it split the unit...
to pull a ball without a T handle on the rod, some of the guys in my club take some line, toss it over a branch, and then use a "timber hitch" on the ramrod, this lets them put their full body weight on the pull down, and the hitch seems to hold well...Hank

Last edited by a moderator:
. . . to pull a ball without a T handle on the rod, some of the guys in my club take some line, toss it over a branch, and then use a "timber hitch" on the ramrod, this lets them put their full body weight on the pull down, and the hitch seems to hold well...

Brilliant! That's going in the noggin locker for future reference.

Think I'd go for a rolling hitch as it spreads the load over a larger area, though.

rollinghitch.gif

A friend made this lovely "tool" out of a length of antler fork that had a 1/2" hole through one end designed to lower over the ramrod, and then by lifting on the other end it jammed the ramrod in the hole giving you the needed leverage to pull the ball. First time he tried it he split his ramrod off flush at the muzzle! :curse: I heard words that day that I still haven't deciphered.

where'd ya find the knot graphics?

Stolen from the Boy Scouts, of course. :crackup: Best memories of my young life. :thumbsup:

http://www.bsatroop59.org

On the left margin click on "Knots".

Not my troop, but a dandy site. Some of their knot names are not what I know them as.

Knots is a big part of my life, man. My stable:
picmudhenb.jpg
Delirious.jpg

Roundball
How many PSI does your compressor put out? I was wondering what it takes to blow out your loads. I have a compressor & tried it once when I loaded my new GM barrel W/O powder on the third shot with it.

Bob

Well, it's a big tanked 5HP compressor and I think I have the regulator set at 90lbs max for air tools...BUT...I've blown them out when the tank's been near empty...probably no more than 15-20psi...not really sure...the little CO2 dischargers couldn't put out very much and they do the job

Thanks for the link, Stumpy. Nice regatta. Other than my canoes most of my "boating" has been in Uncle Sam's yacht club. Lots of grey, not much into sails...

-Riley

Well I guess I'll be the devils advocate here. I never pull a ball unless it's dry loaded. I leave my rifle loaded unless it's pouring the rain and I feel unsure of my load staying dry. For example I left it loaded from Nov. 23rd till Dec. 4 this year and it fired perfectly the first try.

I take it out of my vault the night before I'm going to shoot it and set it in the corner near the heat. It's never failed me yet and I know that in years past the frontiersmen left their pieces loaded at all times.

Some kept them over the fireplace probably to make sure they stayed dry and ready to defend home and hearth. As well as take any meat that appeared in front of the cabin.

YMH&OS,
Chuck

Back