• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading anxiety.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what the OP is bothered by.. is this scenerio; so I’ve just shot my rifle, I go to reload, pouring my powder in from my measure... then I add patch and ball on top. What IF the powder ignites while I’m compressing the ball down the barrel?IF this was to happen a very ugly injury could occur.. Its a very unlikely scenerio...but I’ve seen more unlikely stuff happen in my life than that.
I use a range rod with a big round handle. If the rifle was to fire the air pressure would force the rod up and the handle would cause my hand to slide off.

I think what the OP is bothered by.. is this scenerio; so I’ve just shot my rifle, I go to reload, pouring my powder in from my measure... then I add patch and ball on top. What IF the powder ignites while I’m compressing the ball down the barrel?IF this was to happen a very ugly injury could occur.. Its a very unlikely scenerio...but I’ve seen more unlikely stuff happen in my life than that.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I've had in mind. But as folks have said, swabbing should eliminate the possibility of this happening if I add it into my loading process. I've set up a small kit for swabbing in my muzzleloading range bag, so my next outing should more or less be good to go. I'll be doing most of my shooting at the farm due to the pandemic, so if something does go bad I'm not exactly in a good position for medical help beyond what I carry. So if I can minimize any chance of something going wrong, i'll take any opportunity to do so.

I get it, but if you pour a scoop of black powder upon an ember it WILL NOT wait for you to load your patched ball to make itself known... I Promisio.
I understand that Bob, however there’s always that chance... a lot of odd stuff has happened in the world of BP and that’s why I suggested to the OP to swab between shots. As a matter of fact that’s mostly the reason that I swab, and also, I don’t mind shooting from a mostly clean bore. I say “mostly” because one time down with a clean patch and out won’t clean the bore completly, but it decreases the chances of a cook off.

I understand that Bob, however there’s always that chance... a lot of odd stuff has happened in the world of BP and that’s why I suggested to the OP to swab between shots. As a matter of fact that’s mostly the reason that I swab, and also, I don’t mind shooting from a mostly clean bore. I say “mostly” because one time down with a clean patch and out won’t clean the bore completly, but it decreases the chances of a cook off.

And it’s a great suggestion, especially for someone who has an anxiety about it.

I've set up a small kit for swabbing in my muzzleloading range bag,

That's the way to do it, just like bag loading, it's all about being efficiently set up for it.
A good streamlined efficient system that fits in your bag or on your person.

When I shot competition I never swabbed or cleaned until the end of the day. (flintlocks excluded) and I hated it.
Now I swab or clean after every shot. Takes only seconds and other than some extra cleaning patches which I always carry anyway, the only extra piece of gear is a small one ounce bottle of cleaning solution.
Hunting I have used spit or water, but cleaning solution works better.
To some this may seem unnecessary, but I do it for multiple reasons that suit me very well.

I don't swab between shots usually but that's my personal preference. I usually use spit patch so don't see a need but when using Wonderlube I swab or accuracy suffers.

Feel free to point and laugh here, but I'm hoping to get some input regarding an issue I have with shooting muzzleloaders.

I've got a bad habit of expecting the worst with things, and i've heard a horror story too many of muskets going off from an ember in the chamber while loading. I usually space my shots out five or so minutes apart but sometimes I wonder if I'm just taking it a little too far.

I know a lot of you folks here have been shooting the things for years without issue, I'm curious as to what your methods are as to load and shoot your muzzleloaders ........

Last edited:
Your cautious approach of spacing out your shots and taking time between each one demonstrates a commendable commitment to safety. However, it's also essential to strike a balance and not let fear hinder your enjoyment of the hobby.
If you're addressing the thread starter, he hasn't visited the board in three years.

The basic concept of loading and shooting a muzzleloader is extremely simple and proven over the last couple of centuries, but it seems everyone does it a bit different. Just ask here..... Develop your loading procedure and stick to it. Muscle memory from repeated loading and shooting practice will become your friend. Don’t allow distractions while your are shooting, that’s when the stupid and dangerous stuff happens. Dry balling. Short starting. Double loading. Etc. Develop and practice good habits and the drive to and from the range will become the most treacherous part of your outing.

Make that seven centuries...

Feel free to point and laugh here, but I'm hoping to get some input regarding an issue I have with shooting muzzleloaders.

I've got a bad habit of expecting the worst with things, and i've heard a horror story too many of muskets going off from an ember in the chamber while loading. I usually space my shots out five or so minutes apart but sometimes I wonder if I'm just taking it a little too far.

I know a lot of you folks here have been shooting the things for years without issue, I'm curious as to what your methods are as to load and shoot your muzzleloaders safely.
Fine another sport, I don't want to shoot next to people who are afraid of their guns, that is how things happen.

Back