• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading paper-patched ball tail up or tail down?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm experimenting with making paper cartridges for use with my .45 cal Kibler SMR. Some of the cartridges I'll prepare with a pre-lubed and paper-patched ball that will look something like this:

IMG_0087.JPG

Question is: should that ball be rammed with the twisted tail up or tail down? Or does it make any difference? Thanks ....

When we load a paper cartridge with powder and ball wrapped together, ball and powder are separated by a twist or tie. The tail is torn off to expose the powder. Historically, a small amount of powder is poured into the pan for priming and the remaining powder is poured down the bore. Since we are not facing a line of French Infantry, we don't prime from the cartridge, after the powder is poured, we shove paper and ball down the bore with the excess paper acting as a wad between powder and ball. The little twist is above the ball. While I would load @wiscoaster's paper wrapped ball with the twist down, I would doubt that there is any significant difference in performance.

The problem is the difference between cartridge and ball preparation for use in a smooth bore vs. a rifled bore, as the purpose and function of patch and wad are different. This paper-patched ball shown here is for use in a rifled bore. It's an experiment.

I load a 54 flint gun, tail down, after tearing off base of the tail. Paper cartridges work well enough, for a quick reload, and are fairly accurate. With tail down, any powder left in the cartridge will, most likely ignite, giving more consistent performance.

Tail up is hands-down more accurate in a smoothbore, contrary to intuition. Don't ask me why, it just is.

No idea how it will work in a rifled bore but I would think a wad of tow between ball and powder would be a big help since the paper alone won't be thick enough to seal the ball in the bore. Might be fine if you make a regular paper cartridge that is long enough to hold a full charge of powder and you crumple up the long tube under the ball and seat it that way. I'd make the cartridges dry and stick the whole tube in my mouth to get it wet after tearing the tail off and dumping in the powder. You can also glue a dry .45 revolver felt wad to the side of the tube, tear it off, and put it in the muzzle before the wad and ball to keep the powder dry when you ram the whole mess home.

However, it seems like a lot of trouble versus just using a pre cut, pre lubed cotton patch. If you want speed in loading, one option is to cone the muzzle and use pre measured tubes of powder that hold a ball in the other end and attach a small stack of pre-lubed patches to your bag strap or shirt with a safety pin......or make a loading block like has been done for centuries.

No idea how it will work in a rifled bore
They worked very well in a .45 cal Kibler SMR, better IMO than cloth-patched, and it didn't seem to make any difference which way the pigtail was oriented. (The "production" patched balls had much shorter pigtails than in the test article pictured above).

However, it seems like a lot of trouble
Yes, it certainly is, but so much fun trying different things.

Back