• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Procedures?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhat

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I did a search using "loading" and couldn't find what I am looking for.

What are the safest loading procedures for repeated firing of a percussion ML? My main concern is pouring more powder down the barrel after firing a shot. Do I need to swap with a wet patch to ensure no embers remain in the barrel? If so, what with?

FWIW, I use Pyrodex RS only.

Thanks for answering a rookie question.

I like to swab with a "spit" patch between shots both for safety, and mainly for consistancy. Simple procedure, shoot, swab, powder from powder measure, leather wad, lubed patch and round ball. :hmm:

It's not likely that you would ever have a smoldering ember in your barrel after firing a shot but it is enough of a possibility that we never load directly from a powder horn. You always load your powder into a measure and then dump it into your bore. If it should go off, you would get a burn but not an explosion like you would if you were pouring directly from a horn or flask.

To minimize the likelihood of dry balling, do not try to hold a conversation while loading, minimize or learn to shut out all distractions and keep repeating the poem as you load "This the rule above all, first the powder and then the ball."

After the rifle is fired I run a slightly dampened alcohol patch followed by a dry patch. Then I charge the powder and patched ball.

I use pre lubed patches if I am hunting and I cut at the muzzle for target. I always swab between shots it had become a habit. I am sure that it results in better groups. I use Moose Milk for targets and spit in the field. Work with your ball size and patch thickness until you are happy with the effort to load and the target results.

I make a hickory Range/Target ramrod and I carry it as a shooting stick and load with it in the field. I have three MLR's and one extra barrel and I have never loaded with the rifles ramrod.

I hope this helps! Geo. T.

Swabbing between shots is a much debated subject. I swab to assure easy loading and to keep the barrel consistent between shots.
So: After shooting:
Remove cap and half cock;
Swab (I use a flannel spit patch once);
Pour measured charge down barrel;
Place patch cloth over muzzle lubed side down;
Place ball on top of patch;
Short start ball (1/8" to 1/4");
Cut patch if not a pre-cut;
Long start ball (3" to 4");
Seat ball all the way down barrel;
Take deep breath;
Carry gun muzzle up back to firing line;
Take out an 'X'. :grin:
Repeat.

Unless you are talking about speed loading for a second shot or multiple shots (some think this is fun?) there should be no worry about burning embers. If loading at a normal, relaxed firing pace swabbing should not be necessary. Refer to mention of debate on this subject.Good advice on other posts so far.

Okay thanks all,

Here is what I have been doing:

Rifle on half-cock

Pour powder into adjustable measure
Pour from measure down barrel
Patch over muzzle, place ball on top of patch
Ram ball using ball starter then range rod
Place rifle on rest and place cap on nipple
Take aim, cock and fire
Place rifle on half cock and clear the nipple (as needed)

Start over

I have not been patching the barrel between each shot or after loading,only when the ball starts to get harder to push down the barrel. I think I might try swabbing the bore with a dry patch after loading the ball to see if I get any improvement in accuracy.

I don't see where swabbing with a dry patch after loading would have any affect on accuracy. Also, running a dry patch down a bore with any fouling in it can lead to a stuck jag/patch. Don't ask me how I know that :redface:

Redhat said:
...I think I might try swabbing the bore with a dry patch after loading the ball to see if I get any improvement in accuracy.

Be sure to have some water with you when you do that.

Why?

Because that is an excellent way to get the patch/jag/ramrod stuck in the barrel of the loaded gun.

If it gets stuck, pour a tablespoon of water down the barrel and let it soak for 10-15 seconds. Then you can pull the (now wet) patch back out of the barrel so you can shoot your shot. :)

Hmm...I was thinking the barrel would be moist with patch lube from the round I just loaded?

Redhat said:
Hmm...I was thinking the barrel would be moist with patch lube from the round I just loaded?

Oops! :redface: I missed the
after loading
part.
No matter. Doing a swab after loading would be a very weird procedure. Most lubed patches are not wet. Some may be but unlikely they would wet the bore.
Unless you are into things like reinventing the wheel, stick with conventional (meaning proven) loading procedures.

Take a moment and look up "loading in 9 times". This is the way the civil war military soldiers weere taught how to load. It is in 90% of the civil war manuals-- Hardys, Caseys, Gilhams, to name just a few.
There was a method to their madness in loading. In one case at a battle with green troops the col. of the unit to settle down the men had them do laoding by the manual, by calling out each step.

PP, I'm not going to look it up. Loading in the military under battle conditions bears no relationship at all to what we are doing. In battle safety is not consideration, rapid fire is the objective.
With our shooting safety is the first and primary consideration. After that other objectives come into play. Like ease of loading, accuracy, not getting anything stuck in bore, etc.

Wait! Wait! Wait! I was with you all the way down to the next to the last step where you said "Take out an X". I think I have been leaving out that step. :haha:

Taking out an X seemed like a good idea to my brother-in-law and it worked for him.

I know there's a lot of other people who would rather be shot than to even speak to their X, let alone take her out. :hmm:

Holy Guacamole, Batman!!! That could be seriously life-changing!!!!! :shocked2:

Back