• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Stands for Single Shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daven

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody ever make a loading stand for a flinter? Just got a Traditions Trapper last night and the literature suggests using a loading stand or to "kneel down and place it between your knees." Since I don't much like the idea of pouring blackpowder "between my knees," maybe I'll try the loading stand. The illustration makes it look like a glorified bookend. Any suggestions?

Yep, just made one for my new flint pistol. Can't get a pic until at least tomorrow. I have an older one for my TC Patriot, but it won't work for the new one w/o retrofitting.

Its not a real difficult task. Just needs to hold the gun while you load, and not put any undue force on any weak areas. I made the new one to conform to the grip of the flinter.

Just noticed thid thread:[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/193047/post/new/#NEW[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
pistl.jpg

Davy :hatsoff:

Hey Davy,

Middle pic on the left side... what is that gizmo inboard of the pistols on each stand? ramrod with handle? A ramrod with powder measure on the end?

Some great ideas here. Sorry I didn't take the time to notice this same subject was addressed just a few threads down. Some of these examples look too good to take out to range, they'd look just fine a mantle.

I have one of the stands pictured above - in fact that's mine with the Ruger Old Army. I don't use it any more, I just find it's unneccessary and adds to the time taken to reload. In the case of a single-shot pistol, I personally would beware of tapping a tight fitting patched ball down the muzzle since a lot of the force will be taken by the rounded wood grip where it rests against the stand. You could induce a crack in the grip - though I note some of the stand designs are contoured to fully support the grip in this area and may be fine. In general though, it's just plain quicker to hold the pistol by the barrel and there's no risk of cracking the grip this way.

Tight Wad :winking:

Tight Wad,

The one I just made supports the entire grip. Its a new custom pistol, and I wanted to protect it. Here's the pistol. There are much prettier stands shown above.

IMG_2028.jpg

Tight Wad raises an interesting point. How many of you pistoleros don't bother with a stand?

Daven said:
Tight Wad raises an interesting point. How many of you pistoleros don't bother with a stand?

FWIW, when I first acquired my LePage I considered making a stand, but after using the pistol for awhile (including one trail walk with it), I decided a stand just wasn't necessary.

I use one when shooting for aggregate shoots, since we are close to the covered benches. put my 10 balls in the "box" on top with 10 patches.
on the trail walks, I load from the bag with no issues once you figure out a system!

either way works, your milage may vary!

Brett

Latest posts

Back