• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading technique for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awreis

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So this will be my first year deer hunting with my flintlock. It has a chambered breech so for reliability, I always plug the touch hole and pour a little alcohol down the barrel to flush any oil out. My plan was, load the powder, use a dry patch over the powder to avoid the lubed patch (TOW mink oil) from fowling the powder then, load patched round ball.

1- Should I be worried about possible rust in the barrel after cleaning with alcohol or would the lubed patch be enough to avoid this?

2- if I need to worry , could I use a slightly oiled patch a swab the barrel after loading for temporary rust prevention?

3- Am I over thinking all of this?

The rifle could be loaded for upto a week before being fired.

Congratulations on making the commitment to hunt w a mzldr!

First, just relax and enjoy the hunt.

Swab your bore w one dry patch, no need for alcohol.

DON'T change your pet load, there's not enough lube on a patch to contaminate your powder charge.

Leave your mzldr outside/cold for the hunting season to prevent condensation.

forget the oil…….

clean your rifle and run a patch with bear grease . When you get ready to hunt run another bear grease patch and load. The bear grease will not eat your powder or rust your barrel.

Back