• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading the single shot pistol??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am another newbie pistol shooter. My pistol is scheduled to arrive this coming Tuesday, learned a great deal from this thread. Thanks for asking the question and all the great suggestions. I can't wait until my new pistol arrives. This is my third "toy" in six months... so far the Wife has been very understanding. She did give my a strange look today when she heard me tell my son I got a pistol.

MWINDY,

My .54 plains pistol just arrived yesterday.
I am also new to this type of shooting and have now bought The GPR and Plains Pistol since Christmas. The wife says if I get one more gun I have to get a safe. "Darnet which one to buy next?" :rotf: :blah: :rotf:

Smoke that what my wife said to me last year, just because I stood my rilfe next to her clothes in the closet. Hope you enjoy your pistol. My .50 cal Lyman arrive on tuesday :)

MWINDY,

Shot the .54 Plains Pistol today only 3 times though. Man o man was it cool (23 degrees and windy) didn't shoot well most likely my fault because I didn't know what to expect. (kick, noise, etc..)
Tell me how yours works out.
WI

Sure will. Same problem here: cold all week. Man those finger freeze pretty quick. Now I have a better understanding of why most war engagements didn't happen during the winter if possible.

I come to this forum hoping to learn, first thing I see is how folks hold the shooter while loading it. Well I hate to bore yall but here is what I do.
I mounted a heavy "D" ring to the bottom of the grip with 2 one inch screws. I connect a long leather sling to the D ring with heavy clip.
On the sling about 12 inchs from the clip I riveted a leather loop just big enough to loosly hold my barrel. With this hanging sling style over my neck and arm I have my barrel ponting up
in a great position for loading.
Once the ball is over the hole I can start it and then finish it with a tough ramrod while gripping the barrel with the left had.
Its a great carry sling as well.

This is funny I am drawing a blank :hmm: My GPP loads so easy I can't think of anything special I do except put the butt on something soft. I just use a short starter and it's own ramrod.

I've been eying the stands at the range for some time, I'm the only one who doesn't have one,.....yet. I use an old cloth on the loading table, hold on to the top of the barrel and a short starter with my left hand and give the starter a whack with a rubber mallet, I'm the only one with one of these (the only woman). After the initial start I can seat the ball with ease.

My GPP loads easy enough. Both the .54 and .50 barrel. But my Kentucky flintlock Pedersoli pistol in .50 cal. is very hard to load. I have to use .10 patches to load it at[url] all.In[/url] all my other guns I use a .15 to .018 patch. What ever the wally world pillow ticking runs.I find this more trouble than I want to put up with, so it gets left home most of the time and I take the GPP.
Old Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished a .54 Great plains pistol about 2 months ago. Have shot it about 40 times.

I use .530 ball, and mostly walmart pillowticking patch. I think it is about .016? It is pretty tight, .010 patch was easier. Anyway, I can load either one off my body pretty easy.

(left handed description)
The trick I discovered is standing with my right leg forward, and put the butt of the pistol at the top of my right leg, sort of creating a shelf to support it. I hold the gun just below the muzzle (with the hammer away from me, and muzzle pointing up and away from me) and can hold the starter on the ball with my right thumb and index finger while hitting the short starter with my left hand.

Back