• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loads for .69 cal Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have shot BP over the years that include revolvers, single shot pistols and rifles. I have been looking very hard at buying a smooth bore Springfield or maybe a Brown Bess which I have not experience with at all. What would be the best for the smooth bore RB or Minne. Of course I would wind up buying the molds to cast my own but need a little direction to get the decisions going.

Because both are smoothbores IMO a Minie' bullet won't shoot accurately in either gun.

Even though the hollow tail on a Minie' may help to reduce tumbling of the slug I doubt that it will be enough to prevent it.

During the CW the 1942 Springfields that were not modified to add rifling (as some were) shot a roundball, buckshot or a buck & ball load.

Good morning
I have several caliber 69 musket. Whether flint or cap they each are particular what exact load or ball size they each shoot the best. But a simple rule of thumb is to look at the back pages of the DIXIE catalog and review the standard military loads listed there.
My personal favorite 69 is a 1832 vintage Springfield flint model. A greased patched .675 40-1 RB and 75 grains 2F make for a neatly accurate under 50 yard deer slayer. I hunt east Illinois river bottoms when up north there and have never seen the need for more power. Plesant to shoot and not hard on the old musket.
The muskets are somewhat on the heavy side to carry about all day without a sling but for walking and sitting a spell not bad at all. But if you ever needed it to break down a door or be involved in a bayonet charge you would understand why all that sturdiness was built into the weapon.

One reason I thought about a musket is its inability to fire accurately. At least then I will have a true reason why I don't hit the target. My wife is trying to get me to buy a golf cart so I can carry my weapons out back to shoot now. If I get the musket I will have to have golfcart and trailer to carry it. Bayonet charge is way way in my past and don't want to ever stick one on the end of a rifle again.Unless its watermelons that need to be take out.

I too shoot a original flint 1816. Made in 1836.
Reconverted back to flint from a drum type percussion conversion. I get reasonable accuracy
with a .662 ball and thick patch and a lubed overpowder fiber wad, with 80 gr. of 2f. I agree that for shots under 50 yards the smooth bore is not a handicap. They can be a bit awkward in a treestand however and given that you have to let the deer get in pretty close, it helps to have the musket shouldered and cocked before he gets into range.
I personally don't get up over 12 feet or so in a stand and they will see you put up.

I just finish puting together a "hybrid" flint 1816 with a rifled Whitacre barrel. It has a simple rear sight and the front sight is on the barrel, similar to later rifled muskets. Haven't shot it yet.

Duane

I shoot an 1816 also re-converted back to flint, I shoot a 662 RB 80gr of FFg and .020 pillow ticking I can start it with my thumb. I have no problem hitting a coffee can lid at 75yds. One of our Wyoming Antelope found out the hard way, but the steaks and burger is sure good!!! I also hunt upland birds and water fowl with it. It drives the game wardens nuts but I have a ball with it.

Bob

Latest posts

Back