• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Local find...any input appreciated

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mac1967 said:
By the way, the only thing that I think really hurts this gun's appearance that really jumps out at me is the side plate and its mortise. . the shape - what the HECK is that all about ???

I'd ditch the brass plate use two washers and reshape that thing to more of an oval rather than an upside down T look. The top leg needs to go somehow. and just a brass washer on the lock bolts in my opinion.

and move that rear sight please..........then get out a rasp......ooppps, sorry, tomtom made me say these things...dang kat!!!
marc n tomtom

Mac1967 said:
Of course, what do I know? I was just at Friendship and had a very famous builder ( I won't "tip" it off with his name) tell me that Rice barrels are manure. ( I am glad I didn't tell him I am building a lancaster in .32 with a rice barrel that looks nice to me inside and out. . )

That is silly talk. Probably sour grapes that he can't negotiate a wholesale deal with Rice. Their barrels shoot great.

That flint lock is right out of the 1971 CVA catalogue. Available with the cast engraving or without. It was used on the early colonial pistols and early tower pistols. It was also used on some Mark well Arms guns from Spain. The lock is also listed in the early cva parts catalogs. The invest arms locks had similar cast engraving but we're about a half inch longer.

Mac1967 said:
Of course, what do I know? I was just at Friendship and had a very famous builder ( I won't "tip" it off with his name) tell me that Rice barrels are manure.
yes, how about Chambers stuff..same song and dance?

There are some names in Muzzle loading that are deemed sacred. A long dead muzzle loading acquaintance, who himself was held in high esteem by many (Ron Griffie) often was cantakerous and claimed everything was junk or manure.

Frankly, I don't like the rifling design manufactured by most of the "revered" makers. Oh it is good for a hunting or offhand gun, but not necessarily the optimum for chunk or bench shooting. There are others who make better barrels for certain purposes. However, better certainly does not mean that Rice or others make manure. The old Numrich arms off center barrels were much closer to the ladder bottom. In fact most barrels made by Ardessa are as good or better than some US makers for PRB shooting.

Slug gun shooters are about the finickiest of the bunch. Top slug shooters don't often use barrels by the usual revered makers.

Bulls eye sir. That is exactly what it is. I built a .45 CVA Kentucky Rifle in 1976. That was before they put the Maslin looking lock on their rifles. They used the same lock on their colonial and tower pistols. The lock is kind of flimsy at best. All the springs are weak and the frizzen is poorly hardened. They will spark but the flint has to be almost razor sharp. The barrels were Jukar as is the rest of the gun. The barrel if clean will shoot. They are surprisingly accurate. Look at the touch hole in the barrel. There will be no liner. We had to drill the touch hole back in those days. Someone re stocked the parts. The original was a two piece Beach wood stock that almost always cracked at the joint. It had a hole drilled [n both pieces and a metal sleeve bridged the gap. Some had a brass spacer and some had a wide band of brass sheet metal to cover the seam. In either case they both used the metal sleeve but they almost always split there. Look at the butt plate and the trigger guard and compare it with the old CVA Kentucky It is an exact match. Another weak spot was the trigger guard look at the middle screw hole that goes through the trigger guard to hold it in the stock that part is always split as well. Not enough meat on either side of the screw hole. You will not be happy with the lock and will have to replace it with a duplicate from track of the wolf. The original lock will misfire more times than it will shoot. Traditions uses the same outline of the lock plate on their Pirate pistol. You could probably make it work but that is an extra cost. If the barrel is bad you will need to replace that too. This is another cost added to your $250.00. The way it is it is more of a wall hanger conversation piece than a shooter. but it is your decision.

Back