• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock Browning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayduke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Need some quick advice. I'm just about done browning the barrel on my Lancaster flinter and would like to brown the lock. I know not to brown the internal workings but, of the exposed parts, which should I not brown or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Locks were traditionally left bright to age naturally on their own.

If you must brown, dissassemble the lock and brown the lockplate, hammer (+ screw and top jaw), and frizzen. I wouldn't bother with the frizzen spring or any of the screws.....

I browned the entire face of my lock hammer and all just not the face of the frizzen, and it looks great, just don't do the internal things, I used LMF and then after applying hit it litely with a propane torch and it set in, then rubbed it back with a piece of old denium and the aged look was real nice, it blacked in a place or two and has a nice antique look to it.
Only litely hit it with the torch though, just warm to the touch, works great and looks good. After that everytime you clean it wipe the lock down with the dirty patch or tow and it'll help do it naturally.
Jim

Back