• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Locking blade friction folding knife.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Being inspired by knife number 28 in the book "Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution" by Neumann and Kravic. I decided to try my hand at making a locking blade friction folding knife.

Firstly let me admit that at times I thought I was in way over my head making this knife.

I began by selecting a suitable crown antler. I then began forging out the spring to fit the shape and contour of the handle.

lb001.jpg

This was quite a challenge for me. Although thinning and bending of the spring could be done in the forging process alot of stock had to be removed using a hacksaw and hours of file work.

The back of the handle had to be flattened with a file to get to spring to lay on the antler.

lb006.jpg

lb003.jpg

Next I made the blade. Forged from 1/8" 1095 steel. This is a big knife. The blade measures 4 1/4" in front of the handle and is over 1" wide a.

The critical area was getting the lock to work with the spring and the locking tooth on the blade.

lb002.jpg

I had filed a square hole for the tooth in the spring. I also left plenty of stock on my blade to allow me room for fitting. Fitting was a routine of assembly, disassembly, fit and filing for an afternoon. When I was confident of my lock I then heat treated the spring.

I then reassembled the knife for to be sure nothing had changed on me and then I heat treated the blade.

No glues or epoxies were used. Just very tight friction fitted hand made rivets hold the knife together.

lb007.jpg

A crude but functional finger ring was forged and installed into the spring.

The knife is 9 5/8" overall in length. The spring snaps like a trap when it engages the tooth on the blade. It locks ups as tight as a bank vault door with out any movement at all.

At times I felt like abandoning the project but I am glad I saw it through.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

There have been many times i almost gave up on a project only to have it turn out better than i thought. It`s clear that was the case here. :bow: :thumbsup:

Heck of a job. There's a similar knife with a horn handle and a spear point blade in the Fur Trade Cutlery Sketchbook. Its on my list of things to make, but I haven't got my dander up to start it yet.

Sean

Very nice thanks for the pictures I'v given some thought to trying to build a folder but thats as far as I'v gotten with it, to many projects in the works now

That turned out well Joe! :thumbsup: Sometimes I feel like I am going to wear out the parts to a knife, with trial and error fit but as in cases like that knife its the only way to get great fit and finish! :hatsoff:

Y'all are great! Your comments are very appreciated.

You ever get a bee in your bonnet about something? That's the way I am getting about 18th c. and fur trade folding knives. There isn't as much on them as there is on the fixed bladed knives. But when you do find something it is well worth examining. The more I find out, the more interested I get.

Thanks again for all your fine comments.

Joe

Trkdriver99 said:
I don't covet your knife, but I want one like it. I love those folding knives.

Ronnie

I have no shame, I confess, I covet that knife.

Latest posts

Back