• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lodge/Awning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In about 2-3 weeks we will be ordering our new lodge. I had many suggestions in an earlier thread regarding wood stoves and pipes. I am asking for any last minute ideas that you good folks may have regarding lodges and awnings. I'd like to avoid as many regrets as possible.

Here is what we are thinking of:
12'x13' wall tent w/5' walls.
Matching 21 foot awning w/40" overlap over front of tent.
Area under the awning is about 17-1/2' x 12'
Side & end walls all the way around the awning.
Thermostat controlled propane heater for the tent.
Wood stove for under the awning. Stove jack for awning.
Sod cloth and full sunforager treatment is standard as well as many other things.
Awning ridge pole and tent uprights will have steel sleeves allowing them to break down and store in a shorter length.
Everything except poles and stakes made by Spring Valley in Wisconsin.
Ground cloth bought separately.

We are cool/cold weather campers. We entertain a lot and need room for day and camp visitors under the awning. I feel this arrangement will give us a comfy and cozy shelter regardless of the weather.

The only thing I do not want to do is lift it or set it up! ha!

Sounds like a pretty comfy setup. But it sure sounds like a lot to carry on a trek. Now if I could only figure out a way to have a setup like that waiting for me at the end of the trek along with my wife, a nice dinner, and a cord of firewood - that would be sweet.
:redthumb:

Sounds like quite the "set-up"!! :thumbsup: ::

Does it come with a "basement"?? :crackup: :crackup:

YMHS
rollingb

Smoked,
Let me know if you ever set up in ohio i would make an effort to get there just to meet you!
snake-eyes :peace: :)

Quite a set up, Smoked... Almost like a small trade tent. You can never have enough room, so I say go for it! :thumbsup:

Smoked
Will you have that set up in time for the Root River Riflemen event in May? :crackup:
Oops! I mean will you have it in possession for that Event?
About the same amout of canvas as mine.

This guy has alot of different iron ware at very good prices. The ridge pole and pole grabber hooks are great ways to get your lighting up a bit higher so the light shines down.

www.frenchiestraditionalironwork.com

The woodstove sounds like a great place to keep a pot of cider going.

TLukes

We consider your event a must-do and my intention is to break-in our canvas there. I hope it's all ready for early set-up on Friday, May 6th. I have always enjoyed being a day visitor at your event because of the people, activities, cool weather and the beautiful setting. If the canvas isn't ready, we'll be disappointed but we will just come out for the day. It's too nice of a rendezvous to miss.

Rollingb
No basement so the big screen has to be upstairs. The hot tub and deck are nice too :crackup:

Snake-Eyes
Will do. I think we have a lot in common. Same goes for you if ya ever happen to be wandering around in MN or western WI.:thumbsup:

Les Ford
I tried the link a few times with no luck. I'll try again later. We were thinking about drilling some horizontal holes in the ridge poles and sliding hooks into them for lanterns. The ridge should be high enough so I am not knocking into the lanterns with my noggin. Thanks for the suggestions.

My set up is similiar a 10x10 with 12x13 walled awning really makes a tight camp when needed and with the walls up a coopl place too. I have a friend who I set up next to often and we have found that we can join the awing walls together and end up with about 12 x 30 ft under cover really good in wet weather and when entertaining half a camp.

I have know that guy your buying from for more years than I want to adnit but they don't get any better, and he does stand behind his work.

Howdy,
Sounds like a good set up to me. We use about the same amount of overlap for our awning over our tent and weather is not a problem. Y ou will not regret the large awning. Our wall tent is 10' wide x 12' long with an awning for a 12' wide tent and 21' long. You will find you will spend most of your in camp time under the awning and not in the tent. We set our tent up connected to our friends tent awning to awning and have the makings for a dance hall. LOL
Are your fly walls permanently connected or can you take them off? Ours have toggles for either using the walls or leaving them off. I've seen them both ways. Spring Valley has a good reputation for making a good tent.

Primitive3

Thanks. The awning walls are all removable and clip on somehow. I remember discussing this with them but can't remember exactly how they did it. When we get our check from Uncle Sam, I will go over all of this again as I place the order.

I agree, the awning is our living room and entertainment area. The tent is for storage and sleeping. You get a few people under a fly with a couple tables and chairs and it could get real small real quick. And having visitors is what we enjoy most about rendezvous. The wood stove under the fly will make things very comfy when it's windy and cold.

Although we are fairly new to rendezvous, we have always been cool/cold weather campers, a pot of coffee is always on the side of the fire and we usually have soup or something warm for visitors.

I'm envisioning this thing and have a question: When you are under/in the awning, are you "outside"???????? :what:

:) :) :)

Regards, sse

Yea sse the awning is like sitting on a porch with a roof but no walls!

YMH&OS, :redthumb:
Chuck

How easy is it to put up a wall tent? I've been wanting an 8'X 10' wall with 4' sides and a fly to go with it, but I was wondering if one old guy (me) could put this up by himself.

Thanks!
Flatlander

I own a Tentsmiths 8x12 with 4' walls and can put it up by myself with a little trick. A Friend:RO:....or, I get the polls inside, pound in a stake at the foot of each upright(which are now on the ground)...go back out side...hook a rope to the metal pegs which go right through the top ridge pole and through the canvas top...This will form an anchor so to speak....and from the outside I gather both ropes....and start angling the whole tent up and somewhat into postion. It is hard to describe without pictures. But it seems to work for this 5'1" LADY Other than that, I do get someone to help my get it up. Oh!!! :eek:be sure you have pegged in the four ground corners of the tent....securely.

THe other way is to use cross sticks at the front and back of the tent to bring the ridge pole up. That means you will have poles on the outside of your tent holding it up.

Good luck. :results:

How easy is it to put up a wall tent? I've been wanting an 8'X 10' wall with 4' sides and a fly to go with it, but I was wondering if one old guy (me) could put this up by himself.

Howdy,
My wall is a 10' X 12' and I can set it up myself.
First figure out where you want to set up your tent and I put the ridge pole together with its uprights and lay this on the ground approximately under the center of the tent. I lay the tent over the ridgepole and tie the front bottom flaps together and lay the tent out where I want it. I next drive a stake at the 4 corners. I then drive 4 temporary rope stakes with the ropes attached at a 45 degree angle off the 4 corners farther out than they will end up as the 4 corner ropes. Next attach your 4 corner poles to the tent, and using the rope at each corner lean the top of each stake towards the rope stake. Make these relatively snug so the 4 corners of the tent are now up. I then go under the tent and walk the ridge up a little at each end until the upright poles are fully upright. I then gooutside and finish attaching the remaining side poles and ropes and move the 4 corner ropes to where they are 90 degrees off the sides and +-6 feet out.
I then put the fly up by finding the area for the fly upright and using 2 of the fly ropes and stakes as temporary helpers, I drive them into the ground at 45 degree angles out away from the end of the ridge pole. I then attach the end of the ridge to the front tent upright pin that sticks thru the front top of the tent and then attach the fly upright to the other end of the fly away from the tent and using the temporary helper ropes. The fly ridge and upright will now stant on its own and you can throw the end of the fly over the ridge pole and set the outside poles and stakes.

Two people make this whole process easier, BUT if you are by your self, this will work. Like Tipis said this would be easier to explain with scetches or pictures. But to be honest, I have never took pictures while setting up. LOL
I've always been in a hurry to get camp set up so the fun part could start.

Hope this helps and does not confuse too much.
Please ask if you have questions. :m2c:

SSE

The short answer is YES. But the matching fly will follow the angle of the tent's roof. And then I can hang walls on each side and the end of the fly, which will also match the roof angle of the tent. So when the walls are up, you inside the fly area, when the walls are not up, you are merely under the fly, and when the wind hits 60mph, you are outside. :crackup:

Back