• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lollipop sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptk1126

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to make a lollipop sight to install in the tang of an 1850s sporting rifle.

Does anyone have details, pix, specs of how to
do this ??

Many thanks
Paul

have you used one?
since you have to be able to bend it to fit your requirements i wonder how robust they are ?
do they get nocked out of their set position easily?
could it cope being snagged on clothing or a branch?

The sporting rifle is an original and not intended for hunting.
The tang has an existing threaded hole
for the sight and I would simply like to make an appropriate one to complete the gun.
I think CoyoteJoe discussed something like this.

Thanks
Paul

ewan said:
have you used one?
since you have to be able to bend it to fit your requirements i wonder how robust they are ?
do they get nocked out of their set position easily?
could it cope being snagged on clothing or a branch?

Good questions.

I just put one on an original big bore that appears to have wore several type of sights over the years. I've yet to hunt with it, but I do believe some care would have to be taken when
going thru brush etc., although in my case it's a nice clear walk to my stand and I'll be hauling it up with a rope. I might be more concerned if I
was out and about all day trecking, but this beast weighs around 13 pounds and is stictly a stand gun. For that type of hunting I think it's sturdy enough. I didn't bend mine, rather it projects straight back like most originals I've seen. Actually I think you'd have to anneal it to get a decent bend in it. After I sighted it in I drizzeled some loc-tite dowm the threads of the elevation and pivot screws and poked them with a toothpick to get the loc-tite into the holes. By the way, you'll have to come up with your own
elevation screw since he doesn't have one in production yet.

Duane

Getting back to your original question, there is a god example HERE
As previously described by others, one can construct such a peep from a thumbscrew of the appropriate thread and use a locknut to keep it from turning.

shunka

yes apologies for side tracking. when i reread thepost for replies i saw that i was talking about the wrong type :(

i assume the only trick with the lolipop is thread counting or putting range markings of some sort to set the desired height for each range.

or are they generally for a single setting?

the only issue is getting the thread count right-

a temporary solution which i used for an archery sight once. is to get a correctly threaded (flat screw driver & dome headed) bolt and a large washer. i filed the bolts screw driver cutout so the edge of the washer would fit (a tight fit), gave it a tap with a hammer on the bolt edge to pinch it more and added epoxy glue or solder to hold it. i cant remember which one held but one did and one didn't.
ewan

Yes, I've used sights of that sort on several rifles. Similar to the one pictured but smaller. I like mine higher on the tang, next to the hammer. That is still close enough to the eye and being higher means a very short section of screw is exposed. If you use a 10x32 screw it is very sturdy, I doubt you'd bend even an 8x32, and it is somewhat protected by the hammer. I feel this is much less likely to be knocked out of alignment than any open sight, although the front is still vulnerable.
If you use a hardware store thumb screw you'll need to burn off the plating by getting it red hot and scrubbing with a wire brush, then it will blue or brown OK.
For hunting I drill the aperture 1/8", although a 1/16" hole may be better for target. With a 32 pitch screw, one full turn will give 3-4 moa of elevation, depending on barrel length. If you can get the hole exactly on center you can also use half turns for finer adjustment.
I usually file the thumb screw to make it round and that looks neater than the oval screw head.
One of the advantages of a peep is that you can use any sort of blade or bead up front and see it much more clearly. You also see much more of the surrounding area with no rear blade blocking the lower half of your field of view. Peep is THE way to go on a hunting rifle. :v

Yes, I've used sights of that sort on several rifles. Similar to the one pictured but smaller. I like mine higher on the tang, next to the hammer. That is still close enough to the eye and being higher means a very short section of screw is exposed. If you use a 10x32 screw it is very sturdy, I doubt you'd bend even an 8x32, and it is somewhat protected by the hammer. I feel this is much less likely to be knocked out of alignment than any open sight, although the front is still vulnerable.
If you use a hardware store thumb screw you'll need to burn off the plating by getting it red hot and scrubbing with a wire brush, then it will blue or brown OK.
For hunting I drill the aperture 1/8", although a 1/16" hole may be better for target. With a 32 pitch screw, one full turn will give 3-5 moa of elevation, depending on barrel length. If you can get the hole exactly on center you can also use half turns for finer adjustment.
I usually file the thumb screw to make it round and that looks neater than the oval screw head.
One of the advantages of a peep is that you can use any sort of blade or bead up front and see it much more clearly. You also see much more of the surrounding area with no rear blade blocking the lower half of your field of view. Peep is THE way to go on a hunting rifle. :v

Back