• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Range?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen some non inline muzzleloaders advertised at quite high ranges. What rifle do you have that allows the longest range shot to humanely harvest a deer sized animal? Are there "traditional" muzzleloaders (for the purpose of this thread I mean any sidelock without a scope shooting a ball or conical) that are good for 150 or so?

I know an area I can hunt black buck antelope and they're pretty edgy animals...

Most ML hunters try to keep their shots close,50yrds or less. This depends on the caliber you are using and how good a shot you are. Shot placement is the most important. I hunt with a .54 cal rifle, my longest shot at big game was a bull caribou at 125 yards, I used a Hornady great plain bullet( 425gr HBHP) with 110 grs of 3F.The bull only staggered in a circle and fell over before i finnished reloading. The bullet went compleatly through. I have shot moose at the 90yard mark but only a perfect broadside shot.
I have never had to fire a second shot at any big game animal. The majority of my shots have been close range from 25feet to 50 yards. If you have to shoot at long range use a conical projectile, they are more accurate at longer ranges. This is depending upon your ability to consitantly hit a small target at long range. I use the paper plate method, If you can keep all your shots on an 8" paper plate at various distances then you will be alright.I think 150 yards is too far to shoot at game with most muzzleloaders, but if you can accuratly place your shots at that range then you will be ok. This still depends on caliber and type of projectile.

I was doing some long range, 200 yard shooting with my deer creek .45 and a 225 grain powerbelt. When i went hunting i knew it would hit 4" low @ 150 and 6" low @ 175 yards. Open sights, i could shoot a 2" 3 shot group @ 150 yards. As long as the game you are shooting are standing still and you have a good rest, You could shoot a deer @ 175's if you can see him good enough. of course you also need the practice.

Most traditional rifles are equipped with open sights. A few put an aperature sight on the back end, either on the barrel, or mounted on the tang. No scopes, or electronic sights. Because most people are limited in the available range space to practice shooting open sights at longer ranges, most Traditional hunters want to take shots at under 100 yards. My deer have been killed at from 6 feet, to 40 yards, but I hunt river bottom country, where seeing a deer beyond 50 yards is next to impossible.

I know hunters who can, and are good enough shooters to kill deer at 125, and 175 yards using open sights. Both have been shooting all their lives, are intimately familiar with the gun they use for hunting, have practiced much( both have ranges in their own back yards) and both know, as the gentleman above has explained, the exact amount of ball or bullet drop from his gun at the longer range. Both men are excellent at estimating range. Both are good enough stalkers to move closer to their game, but in the two cases I know about, both shooters were faced with major obstructions, and failing light at the end of the day when they shot. Both shot their deer on the last day of deer season. Both would have passed up that shot on opening day, and both have passed on such shots on opening day more times than they can remember. Both put balls into their deer that dropped the deer in its tracks.

I also met a man who had killed a deer on another ridge, easily over 200 yards, using a 12 ga. slug in a shotgun that had no rear sight. That shot was pure luck, and he knew it. He had never shot at any target beyond 50 yards. And, he thought the ridge was a lot closer than it is. He showed me where he was standing and then where the deer was standing, the next year, and in better light, and even he admitted that he grossly underestimated the distance. The ravine between the two ridges was between 75 and 100 feet deep. It was well after dark before he was able to get over to his deer, with friends, who helped him drag it up and off the ridge, and then down to their car at the bottom of a 200 foot high hill.

I only told that story, because the chief reason to take shorter ranged shots, and to learn how to stalk game to get close is because those long shots tend to cripple, and wound game, and then the animal heads for some really thick country. You will know the meaning of " hard work " when you have to go after your deer in those circumstances, with or without help. It makes more sense to pass on the shot, not where you saw the deer, and be out their the next day or evening to see if the deer uses that same trail again.

I have three rifles that are capable to shoot out to 200 yards well enough to shoot game.
I shot this deer at 160 + yards three out of four shots in field conditions.
445417.jpg

This is the rifle. it is a TC renegade with a GM fast twist barrel. It has Lyman 57 sml rear sights and lyman 17 aml front sight.
386767-big.jpg

This gun is sighted in out to 300 yards. I would not take a first shot at a deer over 150 yards. The other sight in's are there in case I had to fix a problem if one comes up.

Hi Sar, I've got a barrel for my Underhammer that is a fast twist .45. It's basically a Sharps twist. The range on the Sharps rifle is legendary. With that said, I've seen Black Buck Antelope in person while hunting in Texas. They are very small! They are also speed demons. Once they see you they hit lightening speed.

I'd consider a GM barrel in a fast twist configuration for your gun.

I've got a couple of renagdes set up like Idaho Ron. Both are real good shooters and if I practiced enough at long I'd be confident shooting off at rest at 150 yds. I have taken some deer off hand at ca. 100yds.

Another choice would be a 45 cal target rifle like the Pedersoli Gibbs. That would reach out even farther.

I do know TC renegade will shoot 200 yards easy. We used to knock over bowling pins or soda 2 liter bottles full of water at that yardage for fun.

Round ball drifts bad in the wind and range estimation over 100 yards needs to be perfect. I can keep them all in a pie plate at 100 yards off hand most days. I am about 8 out of 10 on a milk jug at 150. I will not shoot at a living animal past about 70 yards with roundball and not much past 125 with my conical barrel. If it requires a laser rangefinder to estimate proper hold over, it isn't inside muzzleloading range!

Check the barrels listed on Midsouth's website. I think there are several different barrels there for the GPR.
I guess you could go to a semi-custom GM barrel, but the Lyman barrels are readily available. Why anyone would do something like that is beyond me, but the parts are readily available.

Anything past 120 yards or so is conical territory. Round balls just don't carry well beyond that. A good peep sight will take you out to the ranges mentioned above, as will some open iron sights with enough practice . . . and if your eyesight is good enough.

THe county next to mine opened for rifle for the first time since WWII a copule years ago. I only have two "good" deer capable c.f. high-powered rifles and I practiced with the open iron sights (notch rear, hooded post front) out to 200 yards and was very comfortable at 150. This was a Mosin-Nagant 7.62 X 54R. Opening day I took a six point at 15 yards who came from the thick stuff beside where I was facing a good open area. Second day a button just a tad closer in the same spot.

Went back to patched round balls in my side-locks. :haha:

I have a GPR .50 percussion that I recently put a 1:32 twist Hunter barrel on (this is available straight from Lyman however I got a better deal from midsouth shooters supply). Although most of my shots are inside 100 yards it will shoot 4" or smaller goups at 150 yards easily.

sar said:
Can I put a GM fast twist barrel on my lyman GPR?

As gmww says, Lyman makes a 1-32 barrel.

If you want a fast twist GM check with Track of the Wolf. They have the parts needed and/or can do the machine work to make things fit. I think this will cost more than just getting a barrel from Lyman

I once shot a nice 8 point with my fifty. I had a roundball over about ninety grains. I saw another hunter step out of the woods behind him about twenty acres away. I quickly put one through the buck and he just as quickly dropped, but I am ashamed to say that he was 100 yard away from me. I almost never shoot that far with my fifty, a .490 at that range is pretty marginal in my opinion.

I know where my rifles hit out to 150 yards. Never had to shoot a deer that far though.

Me neither. OTOH, if one of them suckers comes in armed I might have to shoot em at 150! :shocked2:

One of the many reasons I've gone ML rather than CF is 99% of my animals were taken under 125 yards. I got a whole bunch of whiz bang long range CF collecting dust now.

Back