• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Range?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slowpokebr549 said:
I once shot a nice 8 point with my fifty. I had a roundball over about ninety grains. I saw another hunter step out of the woods behind him about twenty acres away. I quickly put one through the buck and he just as quickly dropped, but I am ashamed to say that he was 100 yard away from me. I almost never shoot that far with my fifty, a .490 at that range is pretty marginal in my opinion.

You might be suprised. I have a friend who is a very good long distance shooter. He was trying to get close in on a pair of mulie bucks last year. He worked for a couple of hours trying to get in closer but they kept spotting him and moving off.

He finally took a shot at 230 yard. The buck was facing him. He was shooting a .45 with 85 grains 3F. It was the load he uses at the 200 yard targets at one of the shoots in the area. He held between the top of the horns and fired. The ball penetrated the breast bone and lodged in the top of the heart. The deer went right down.

I would not have taken the shot but he is an excellent long distance shooter and was confident that he could kill the deer at that range.

I just shot a deer at 95 yards with my 54 matchlock using a roundball. I would never of took the shot if i wasn`t very confident in the gun. I shot over 100 balls through the gun before hunting at ranges from 50 to 100.
Most of my shots are around 50 or less but i was sure of the shot and the conditions were good so i took it.
I think it all comes down to confidence and knowing the limitations of gun and ammo. :)

I am a pretty seasoned hunter. I am also pretty confident in my rifle and know where it will hit at most ranges. One of the reasons that I got my .58 is that on our farm, long shots sometimes present themselves. My concern isnt hitting the deer, it's killing it cleanly. I know it's done all the time and I have done so myself,BUT, I just don't have much faith in a .490 ball at range. It just aint carrying many foot pounds out there. The fifty caliber club will probably chastise me for saying this, and perhaps I deserve it, but I like having a little more ballistic peace of mind.I reserve my fifty for the home place where 40 yards is a long shot. :v

I can hit a paper plate most of the time at 100 yards with the Mountain rifle. When you need precise shot placement, that is not good enough for me. Now, I can shoot about the same with the Lee Target Minnie in the slug barrel, but I know it is going to dust both sides and everything in between at that range. Even then I like to be sitting and shooting off my knee.
Something to think about. Years back I was bowhunting at Busch Wildlife area. I found the biggest scrape I have ever seen. I slipped to good cover, but there was a low place in between the scrape and a good place to sit. I had to make a circle to get there to stay out of deep mud. I found me a nice place to sit with my shoulder towards the scrape. You have to love it when plan comes together. Out of the corner of my eye I caught movement. It was a huge about 140's class 6 pointer with no brow tines. I had estimated the scrape to be thirty five yards, and that is where he was headed. That muddy low place could not be seen sitting down. I drew the bow, settled my 20 yard pin about two inches over his backbone, and released. The arrow hit in the scrape under the bucks belly between his front and back feet. When we actually paced it off thru the mud, it was 63 steps. Looking from either side it did not look anywhere near that far. The dip that hid part of the ground messed me up bad.
With my fifty loaded with 70 grains of 2f under a 495, a range error of as little as 30 yards could be the difference between a dead deer and a deer running off with broken front leg or a clean miss when you get out there at the farther ranges. Mother nature plays tricks with our range finding vision all the time.
Some folks are better at range estimation than I am, or they are hunting at known distances. I tend to hunt at known distances if I have a reason to set up for a long shot, I take my slug gun. Opening morning, I will be set up with about a 60 yard shot to the trail the deer use on my side of the valley floor. The Mountain rifle gets first chance!

It's really all about your comfort level for placing a killing shot. I have shot two animals at about 85-90 yards. One was an antelope the other an elk. Most shots I take are within 50 yards. The rest run in between my max range and 50 yards.

The elk was taken with a .54, the antelope with a .45. The elk was no problem but the antelope at that range has a lot of the body covered by the front sight. I keep my shots within 100 yards because I don't feel I can be precise enough for a quick kill.

Back