• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longest distance whitetail taken with .40cal PRB ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the by Ah-Ma-Chamee, (Means friend in muskogean so dont go off sayin I called ya names), How many deer you put in the freezer this year usin yer howitzer?

Maybe we is looking at this all wrong, could it be the Deer that are acting in an unethical manner by not dying as quickly and easily as we think they should? :idunno:

Micanopy said:
Or any year using any black powder firearm, ranch raised buff dont count.

Our Oregon Department of Waste and Fraud errrr Fish and Game try to keep game numbers low as possible so we are only allowed one a year. Thats what I harvest :wink:

Yep.. As you can see I hit him a tad fer back (he was walking away at betwen 50 and 60 yards) but my trusty ole .54 kilt him still. :grin:
MUZLELOADERHUNTINGELGIN2008022.jpg

:wink: didnt take a pic of the doe...

Personally,I am not afraid to us a 40cal or even the 38cal that is legal here in Ohio. Remember the first word I said was Personally. I can get close enough and if the gun is accurate enough in the archery range distance I would be hunting at, the gun and I would have no problems. For me it would be boiler room shots only. If the gun wasn't accurate enough to go hunting, we would be finding out why or it would not be going hunting and I wouldn't be keeping it either. Now, all that said, it is not my first choice because I have better choices in guns I can use, but if I needed a meat and that is what I had, I would be bringing home meat with a 40cal. Like any proper etnical hunter, you have to know your personal limitations, if you stretch them, it is not ethical. There are people who insist on using the other type of guns and then stretch their shooting range out to 300yds. because they "think" they can. If they have the experience and capablity, go for it. But, be prepared to live with your actions, if you are over stepping your ability.

You know what a poor hunter is called? A vegetarian.

pls allow me to ask what kind of load you have used in your 45-70 for my interrest.
Perhaps some info about distance and circumstances.

thx for Info
Klaus

roundball said:
Cutting and hemorrhaging are how muzzleloaders kill, same as bow hunting...another example about broadheads vs. energy: A broadhead can be shot through a bucket of sand...but not a .30-06.

A good cut-on contact, non-folding (aka: "sensible") broadhead can penetrate a bullet-proof vest, too. It's only carrying 40 to 45 ft-lbs of energy but it needs to be sharp! A round ball is extremely unsharp. :wink: The energy release tears organs. I had a round ball pierce the diaphram and split a deer's liver once as though it was a machette. A clean slice 8" wide. There is a peripheral tissue damage that is lacking in a broadhead strike - which is all truly hemorage.

We can't apply what we feel are our own hunting ethics to other hunters. And a 350 1b Maine whitetail is not a 75 lb Florida whitetail. Lets fight nice and discuss this without making judgements on other hunters.

I can't see the survey results because I've never even fired a .40 (though I've owned .32 and .36 muzzleloaders) but I am curious. Can't argue with success if other hunters find them adequate.

Stumpkiller said:
...I can't see the survey results because I've never even fired a .40 (though I've owned .32 and .36 muzzleloaders) but I am curious.

You can see the results the same way I did: Right above the "Submit Vote" line is a "View Results" link--click on that to see the results. A moderator should have known. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

KentuckyMan said:
drop the .40 and go with the .50cal 450 grains x .025 HP :surrender:

THE POLL THREAD:

Looking for 'accurate distances' that hunters have shot whitetail deer using the .40cal 92grn patched ball...'shot' meaning killed and recovered.

I probably shouldn't comment on this thread since I've never shot a deer with a .40 and don't presently even own one (hope to rectify that soon). That said, I suppose my opinion is as valuable as the next guy and all I've seen on these threads are opinions anyway, so here goes.

Most of the folks espousing the use of .40s for deer on these threads seem to make mention that it's all about bullet placement, which I'd obviously agree on. Many times they go on to point out that they shoot all the time, practice constantly, shoot X number of shots per year, are expert marksmen, etc.. Well, I wouldn't call myself an expert marksman with a flintlock but I'm better than average and I've killed my fair share of deer (a couple dozen) with .50s and .54s.

What I find odd is that I've shot many deer right through the boilermaker with my .50s and .54s (I typically use about 70-75 grains of fffg with .50 or 85-90 grains of fffg with .54) and have had lots of deer take off carrying the mail after being hit. Sometimes they bleed well but they oftentimes don't. Here in PA, our late flintlock season, when I've killed many/most of my deer, usually has snow on the ground and I've not lost many deer over the years but I rarely get drop dead in their track kills and oftentimes need the snow to help track and find my kills.

I'm also willing to admit that I have made a few less than perfect shots at deer, for whatever reason. Hey, I'm human and there are lots of environmental factors at play during deer season. I'm glad to say that most of the time, I've been able to recover my game because the larger calibers did a better job on the deer even when I failed.

Those are just my anecdotal observations and anyone can draw whatever conclusion that they want from my post.

Back