• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LOOK what I Dug up FOUND! a gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullmoose

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Found around old Fort Mason Texas, can anyone tell age or type, plate is 4 3/4 long seems big size
gunp.jpg

Back side
gunp1.jpg

I agree with Idao prb. the hammer, the springs, the plate. It sure does look like a percussion lock to me. :rotf:

Yessiree! After looking twice.... it's a caplock. Sure enuff. Got a nice brown job on it too. :grin:

I looked through my gun books,and it doesn't appear to be from any military musket or rifle.It is similar to many civilian rifle locks that I saw photos of.From the looks of your lock,I'd say it was never converted from flintlock as some were.Your lock would date from the 1830's,when percussion ignition was invented,until cartridge rifles made percussion temporarily obsolete.It likely dates 1830-1870.Oh,I forgot to say that I'm a metal detecting maniac!I want to find a gun very badly!So far I've found bullets and shell cases and a rifle butt plate.That lock is a GREAT find!

Back