• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking at some knife blanks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flinter987

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking at some knife blanks on the internet.
I'm looking for a cheap blank, but yet a decent one (if that makes any sense!). Anyways, I found some made of 440c stainless steel RC 57-58.
What can I expect out of a blank like this?
Will it hold a edge? Be brittle?
Thanks so much!
Fred

440C is a very common stainless blade steel If you choose to go that route, just make sure that it is actually 440C. With that said, it will likely have all of the positive and negative attributes of stainless. The positives being that it will resist corrosion a bit better and..............well, that's all I can think of. :grin:

440-C is at it's best when properly cryo tempered. It is acually pretty good for a stainless. ATS-34 is a bit better.

Fred, I'm not a big fan of stainless steel blades; that said, Wick's recommendations are very good. I much prefer high carbon steel knife blades, but that is just me. They take on a patina over time, but you can polish them if that is your desire.

Check out the Russell Green River Works knife blanks. They're 1095 carbon steel, with old patterns, some of which pre-date the Civil War.

Also, check out some of the Scandinavian blades from a place called Ragweed Forge. Good stock for small game and patch knives.

Check out the Russell Green River Works knife blanks

I'll 2nd that! All my Russell blades have been more than satisfactory, be they patch knife, skinners or any of the other patterns. True, they are not as hard as some blades but at the same time they are very easy to touch up and keep sharp while your bent over that monster elk. I carry the buff skinner and the large sorta filet style boner knife on all hunts. The buff skinner makes getting the hide off an elk a simple task and the other makes it easy to bone it out for transport.

When they are new, keep them wiped down with kitchen oil or olive oil to prevent rusting and do the same when washing after use.

green river knives are some of the best blades I've ever used. they get razor sharp with little effort, and hold their edge really well. i highly recommend them. just make sure you are careful when you put them together cause they come pretty sharp from the factory.

I sure like the couple of factory finished RGR blades that I've had for decades. Also an old RGR Sharpening Steel I picked up way back then too. Also have around 35 RGR blanks and a bunch of different kinds of wood for scales on hand that I bought for a project that never materialized several years ago. Never even got around to the full matched set I was going to do for my own poke (5 different RGR blades).

Back