• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for a "squirrel" gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiterabbit88

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all!

New to the forum, and to muzzleloaders.

I am looking into a small caliber gun and was looking for some suggestions on where I should start looking. Below I have listed some guidelines I have set for myself for what I am looking for; any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Must be flintlock
Must be .32
Must be fullsized/long barreled
Must have "set" triggers
at this time, cost IS an issue, so it would probably need to be a production gun
MUST BE A SHOOTER!
Does NOT need to be "period correct"(but I do like the traditional look)

The gun will be used for plinking/paper killing, and possibly for some prairie rat fun, so the shooting will be high volume, so again, the gun must be a shooter :wink:

Thanks again!! :bow: :bow: :grin:

I would say only 2 I know of.Pedersoli or custom gun in flint.

Unless you can pick up what you want from a member of this forum (or elsewhere), you can still get what you want for under a bill. Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (TVM) has "in the white" ready to use Southern & Tennessee poorboys made to your measurements for very reasonable price. Finished rifles are only a $100 or so more. Their kits are very good deals. Also The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium has some excellent prices on handmade rifles that are not that much more than a "production" rifle.

Check Perdersoli web site.Think Dixie Gun Works has them.Custom $800 on up.

You did not state what your price range was, but believe me, the Southern Mountain .32 by Dan Caywood is almost too much to believe.

I will second that not for first hand use of the souther mountian rifle but from using my Wilson, you get a very nice muzzleloader and you have the ability to change barrels. With a Caywood you can go from .32 up to .45 cal.

R A Carroll said:
You did not state what your price range was, but believe me, the Southern Mountain .32 by Dan Caywood is almost too much to believe.

So...; do you mean to much $$ to believe,.. or to much FOR the $$ to believe?

whiterabbit88 said:
texcl said:
What's the price range?

:hmm: Mmmmm... Uhhh.... rrrr welllll.....hopefully under a grand. under $750 would be even better... :redface:? less even better ?:redface: ...

I’m a full time student right now... so budget is a constraint....

You didn't say if you wanted a gun ready to go, a kit or parts set to put together. I suspect your probably looking for a completed gun ready to at that price? When I wanted a squirrel rifle I spent some time studying the guns made in my area. I know you said you don't care about HC/PC, but then I collected the parts when I had money enough and turned them over to a builder who I knew would build the gun I wanted. That may not be something you want to do but you could gather the parts and put a parts set together yourself.

There are a few companys offering parts sets. Sitting Fox, Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica are a few I would look at after looking at Chambers kits. Just a thought.

Those poo' boy rifles are exactly what I’m looking for! Not sure if I want to get into another gun-build though...(sometimes i have follow through issues on firearms builds :wink: ...still got a 1911 build on the work bench that’s been sitting there for like a year! :redface: :redface: )have you ever build one of these kits? If so, how intense is it? Can a beginner pull er off in a reasonable time frame?

how do these beauts compare to say the Pedersoli's mentioned?

yeah, you guessed right. really I was looking for a gun already put together and ready to go. However, yes, these are options that I need to look into. Thanx!!

Is it just me, or do those 32s require a spaghetti thin ramrod? Presonally, I wouldn't go less than 36cal, and 40cal would be even better.

Being that you're new to MLers, you mght want to think percussion. Flinters can be fun, or frustrating, and frustrating ISN'T where you want to start. BTW, are you in a location where purchasing REAL BP isn't an issue?

excess650 said:
Is it just me, or do those 32s require a spaghetti thin ramrod? Presonally, I wouldn't go less than 36cal, and 40cal would be even better.

Not quite but almost. A 5/16" will go down the barrel but it barely does it. I use a 1/4" ramrod on mine with a cut down .17 case for a tip. It works alright if I'm on a trail walk or hunting but I use a 1/4" stainless rod at the range or in paper competition.

I have both a .32 and a .36 and they both use the same size ramrod. When I ordered spares they also came the same size. Then .40 uses the same size rod as the .45 & .50 at least in the rifles I've owned. Use a range rod for practice and save the wooden rods for the woods. Get hickory rods and use proper loading technique and you'll never (or rarely) have one break; not even the .32/.36.

excess650 said:
BTW, are you in a location where purchasing REAL BP isn't an issue?

Ya know; thats a great question. I have know idea! I didnt know there are areas were there were issues obtaining real BP. I live in the Pacific Northwest. Has anyone heard of any issues getting the real stuff out here?

Unless there is a local ordinance against having black powder in your area, the only issue is whether the local gun stores carry black powder.

There are many gun stores that do not carry the real thing, choosing instead to carry Pyrodex, 777 or one of the other new synthetic powders.

Their reasoning is that these synthetic powders will work in a Percussion gun and most folks have Percussion guns. The number of Flintlock shooters is quite small.
Also, the restrictions applied to dealers by the Federal Government are rather complex and quite expensive for them.

One of the easiest restrictions for instance is the dealers can not have the powder sitting on a shelf in the store like they do with the synthetic and smokeless powders.

They must keep it locked up in a vault.

That's the reason you need to ask each dealer in your area if they sell real black powder. Some do, most don't.

The synthetic powders will work poorly or not at all in a Flintlock.

I tried to buy blackpowder when I was visiting my parents a couple of years ago and most of the large chain stores told me that you can't buy it anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. I discovered that it wasn't true though as there is a small company in east Portland that carries it. I can't for the life of me remember the name though. Cabelas in Washington might carry it also.

One option might be to convert a CVA Squirrel rifle from percussion to flint. This is a fairly inexpensive path to take and easy to do or have done.
I saw one at the range and asked about it because I had never seen a CVA Flint Squirrel rifle before.
You do not remove the drum ! You cut it close to the barrel and grind it flush. Tap the hole for a vent liner, put the vent liner in and swap out locks.

Latest posts

Back